+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Set up at Dalek Towers

I'm Neil.

Default Current Set up at Dalek Towers

Been awhile since I posted main system photos and there have been a few changes since then namely computer audio based front end having joined the system.

On the Target wall-shelf: SME Model 20 turntable, Graham Phantom mk1.2.

On the Clearlight Audio Aspekt racks left to right: Technics 1210 (Origin live based, one of the Technics turntables I am using as part of my upcoming series of Technics reviews), BAT VK300 SE Integrated Amplifier, Revox B760 Tuner, Anthony Gallo SA Amplifier (drives the second set of coils in my Gallo Ref 3.1 speakers bass drivers), Acer Notebook laptop, Freecom 2TB HD, iFi Audio iUSB Power, BAT VK10 SE phono-stage, AMR DP777 DAC, Marantz SA7 S1 SACD player.

A few close ups

Regards Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 06-05-2013 at 20:20.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Ppphhhttt... Noob. Who uses folding wooden chairs anymore???

Looks like a great setup, Neil.

Question: If you tap on the top of the Oyaide mat, is there any detectable platter ringing? At what resolution are the files you're playing / what's your preference?
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    Ppphhhttt... Noob. Who uses folding wooden chairs anymore???

Looks like a great setup, Neil.

Question: If you tap on the top of the Oyaide mat, is there any detectable platter ringing? At what resolution are the files you're playing / what's your preference?
    Hi Biff due to the size and lay out of the room folding directors chairs are used round the table - it was that or the table set up affected the hifi and the table lost.

With a rubber ultra thin mat underneath (sounds better) no, without, slightly if the platter is off the deck but if in position no.

Re files 96 or 192 sound best though 88.2 are good as well but I am more interested in the music than the file resolution as such.

Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Biff due to the size and lay out of the room folding directors chairs are used round the table - it was that or the table set up affected the hifi and the table lost.

With a rubber ultra thin mat underneath (sounds better) no, without, slightly if the platter is off the deck but if in position no.

Re files 96 or 192 sound best though 88.2 are good as well but I am more interested in the music than the file resolution as such.

Regards Neil
    You haven't gotten rid of the R2Rs, have you? ...just checking...
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    You haven't gotten rid of the R2Rs, have you? ...just checking...
    No I still have an A77 and B77 Revox though I have got rid of an old Akai I had. The A 77 is at the other side of the listening chair, with a few other bits and pieces. Awkward room to take a complete shot of everything.

Regards Neil

As usual, Neil, I look forward to reading anything you write up about your current system.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

What are your thoughts on the iFi iUSB power supply Neil?

Looks like you like the file based audio, nice to see another user
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    What are your thoughts on the iFi iUSB power supply Neil?

Looks like you like the file based audio, nice to see another user
    Hi Tim

I reviewed it for Adventures in High Fidelity Audio and liked it so much I bought it. It certainly improves the sound of the iDac and even though the DP777 derives no power from the USB cable it still improved sound enough to justify buying it.

You can read about it here http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com...ature-wonders/

I am slowly getting in to it but at some point want to improve the computer bit but I don't have enough funds at the minute to do it + I would like to hear something first to see if it is a big enough improvement over a laptop.

Regards Neil

I'm fuckoff.

Heard good things about your speakers Neil; are they a permanent fixture?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I reviewed it for Adventures in High Fidelity Audio
    Thanks Neil, I may give it a go one day but I would need a trial, as I'm not going to spend £175 unless it makes a significantly noticeable difference. To be honest I am very happy at the moment and my server ticks all the boxes.

You should notice a difference between a dedicated player and a laptop, I certainly did, but the only way is to try it out? I have tried a netbook, a laptop, 2 different tower PC's and I am now on version 3 of my dedicated server, so that makes 7 different hardware set-ups in all, plus 3 operating systems and all the popular software music players. The only thing I plan to do next is upgrade the case and psu, but that can wait as really they are cosmetic changes, as opposed to improving the sound - as my SQ has increased, the desire to 'tinker' has decreased and I'm where I want to be now as far as a file based audio server goes . . . just a turntable to acquire at some point in the future (when I move) and a fully embedded Ethernet network and bespoke NAS
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast