+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headshell merits (and ADC 'shell ID)

I'm gordan.

Default Headshell merits (and ADC 'shell ID)

An analog foo alert!

Not sure if there's a topic dedicated to the headshells.

Actually I don't know what to think. I find it overtly ridiculous to pay silly money for them, but that's what it is.

Apart from plastic crap and shells which are obviously a historical artifacts, like early SME or SPU types (hate them both but SME more), where there are other reasons apart from average sonics, have you heard the headshells that deserve their (highish) price tag? Does magnesium make an audible difference?

I'm not agnostic, I just don't know what to think.

Btw, can anyone identify the following ADC headshell? Worth 30 quid? I need more shells for FR64 and I can't bother paying 3-5x more for the original FRs.

Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm King.

Despite I have seen it numerous times I still do not know the exact model of it in the ADC range. This is not the LMG-1 magnesium headshell but lighter, probably made of aluminium. Worth 30 quid? It all depends, however, I would not pay more than £25.
    King

I'm Darren.

not seen that model of ADC before. i have a couple of LMG-1's (about £25-£30 each) and they do make a difference from the cheaper types. i'm assuming it's down to the rigidity of the headshell that is holding the cartridge solid. no idea of the science though......

is it aluminium?

i've also got a nagaoka magnesium, but haven't tried that yet. quite fancy an ebony or carbon fibre one next,but they're silly money

I'm brian.

I asked a similar question elsewhere recently.

I was proposing to use the older SME type headshells, but was was advised that the sound quality would be better with a Fidelity Research one that I also have. So the FR will be used.

Not sure why, possibly rigidity, as Darren says.

Darren , I have a few metal ones you can borrow when I see you, if you want to experiment.

I'm Neil.

I use a Reson Reca MM cart on a Pioneer PL-71, the arm is quite massy and with a 14G Sumiko headshell was too heavy. I changed to a Denon PCL-5, which is around 6.3g, magnesium, and such a huge improvement - obviously better synergy with the MM cart & minimising the mass on the arm. I recommended another forum member try a much lighter headshell with their MM, they switched to an ADC and are very happy.

Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    I asked a similar question elsewhere recently.

I was proposing to use the older SME type headshells, but was was advised that the sound quality would be better with a Fidelity Research one that I also have. So the FR will be used.

Not sure why, possibly rigidity, as Darren says.

Darren , I have a few metal ones you can borrow when I see you, if you want to experiment.
    thanks Brian, i have a metal one that came with the Jelco, magnesium sounds better

i just want a fancy headshell is all

I'm Dave.

Back in the day, the ADC LMG-1 was an inexpensive headshell - a fiver as I recall. The one in the pic was even cheaper, as fitted to their budget turntables.

If you own a FR-64S, you should be using one of their superb headshells. It's a combination of the construction, materials, mass and most important, the headshell wires, which make them so very good.

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Back in the day, the ADC LMG-1 was an inexpensive headshell - a fiver as I recall. The one in the pic was even cheaper, as fitted to their budget turntables.

If you own a FR-64S, you should be using one of their superb headshells. It's a combination of the construction, materials, mass and most important, the headshell wires, which make them so very good.
    Thanks. I do have one but I need more and they are a bit costly these days...

Cheers!
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Dave.

I know..I've got a stash of them..

I'm King.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I know..I've got a stash of them..
    Lol! I have roughly 20 of them, not to mention the other makes of headshells.
    King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast