+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shure Thing

I'm Andr'e.

Default Shure Thing

Ive always had a soft spot for late 60's/Early 70's Shure cartridges. I presently own 'M75', 'M91', 'M95ED', 'M95HE', 'V15/2', 'V15/3'

I always always come back to the 'M95HE'..Seems to be my fav for some reason. What i would like to try is a Mk.I 'V15'..

What's you fav 60's/70's Shure?

I'm Martin.

I quite like the M75 but never heard any of the 'V' models to my knowledge.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

In the late 60s/early 70s I ran M75 and M95 Shures and have to say, if my memory serves me well, that they sounded good. But I also used the Ortofon VMS 20 and 30 carts. If I had to chose it would be the M95. Wouldn't it be good if Shure still made the full range of cartridges.

I'm Andrew.

Shure M55E, amazing sound.
    Michell Orbe with Moerch DP-6 Gold Precision > Shure Ultra 500 / London Jubilee / Miyajima Kansui > Croft RIAA R / Miyajima ETR-800P / Audion The Converter DAC > Audion Premier 2.0 > Audion Golden Night 300B/PX25 & Audio Black Shadow 845 > Audio Nirvana 15" Classic Alnico with Tannoy ST200.

I'm Andr'e.

Ive actually got a '55E' in the drawer but it has never has a styli on it..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Although I started with the Shure M3D (a substitute for a B&O SP6, which was the cartridge I really wanted, but couldn't get), it was quickly replaced with the M55E. That was a significant improvement (to my ears) over the M3D, and stayed in my SME arm for a couple of years. (It was the cartridge used by SME in their advertisments in the late '60s.)

After a brief use of an M75E (or it might have been an M75ED), I bought my first V15, the Shure V15 Mk. II (Improved), which after three years was replaced with the V15 III.

At about the same time I obtained an Ortofon SL15E cartridge and later a Decca Mk V. It was these two cartridges which made me realise that Shure's obsession with' trackability' was not the 'be all' of cartridge design and in pursuing tackability, sound quality was suffering. Because of that, the V15 III was the last Shure I used. Possibly a mistake because the V15 IV design was a noticable improvement over the III and seemed to signal Shure's return to designing cartridges with good sound quality.

These days, I usually use moving coil cartridges, but there are a few fixed coil cartridges in my collection which I hold in high regard: Decca V and VI, ADC25 and 10E Mk.IV and the AKG P8ES.

(Oh, and I still have the M55E, kept out of nostalgia)
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    What is the colour of the body? If brown i would be interested in buying it off you - if you wan't to sell it André.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    10E Mk.IV)
    Yeah. I like those very much. I have two, they comfortably outperform many MCs.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What is the colour of the body? If brown i would be interested in buying it off you - if you wan't to sell it André.
    Yes it's a dark chocolate Brown body, im gonna sit on it till a NOS Styli comes up or i might even just buy a Ed Saunders styli to try it out..

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I've got a few ties in the wardrobe I've never worn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast