+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring Lenco GL75

I'm James.

Default Goldring Lenco GL75

I have the opportunity of buying an Original condition Goldring Lenco GL75 and would like recommendations for upgrading this turntable to get the best out of this idler.

If anyone can suggest an upgrade path I would appreciate it.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Nodrog.

Whilst I am sure there are those here with the knowledge, I would suggest an extended read of the attached. There seems to be every possible variation of upgrade available there. Alternatively, just send it to me as it will be a whole lot of trouble. I am still looking for a suitable model after rebuilding my Dual and I've decided that idle(r) is where it's at.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...bsh889ca65;www

I'm Geoff.

Nice turntable the L75. Go ahead and get it if you can.

The sky's the limit really when it comes to L75 mods. As Gordon says, LencoHeaven is your place, although there are many members here who have radically modified units.

If you get it, post in this section and I'm sure you'll be deluged with replies.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

had one myself and they are decent without mods. i have an arm in good condition lying somewhere if you decide to stay with the original and need one or you gordon. i am unlikely to need it now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Whilst I am sure there are those here with the knowledge, I would suggest an extended read of the attached. There seems to be every possible variation of upgrade available there. Alternatively, just send it to me as it will be a whole lot of trouble. I am still looking for a suitable model after rebuilding my Dual and I've decided that idle(r) is where it's at.

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...bsh889ca65;www
    Hi Gordon,
    I will consider my options and cost/work involved and if I conclude its too much bother I will put you in touch with the guy selling. I have plugged it in to my system and given it a spin and all seems to be working fine, even with its original Shure cartridge. Sounded OK even though it had not been used in the last 25 years
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Alan.

Jim they are excellent turntables and a very simple design compared to my Garrad 401 I have heard several of them and have worked on one at my home so I'm sure you will not be disappointed when you get it fettled the way you want it.
    I would recommend you rewire it all with a nice flexible mains lead then clean and lubricate all the linkages and bearings.
    The top plate can be a bit vibrant so it helps to fix this down to a nice solid wood plinth
    All the ones I have heard haven't used the original arm so I cant comment on how good that is?, Steves lenco sounds good with a Jelco arm and I think the Rega and Linn arms would be OK but you will have to fill the old arm mounting hole and make an armboard
    I think the best sounding one I heard was a Slate plinth PTP mounting plate and an Ittok arm belonging to Paul3
    Like others have said Lenco heaven is the place to go
    Pic below is Steve (progmiester) Lenco

IMG_1911 by 337alant, on Flickr

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Jim they are excellent turntables and a very simple design compared to my Garrad 401 I have heard several of them and have worked on one at my home so I'm sure you will not be disappointed when you get it fettled the way you want it.
    I would recommend you rewire it all with a nice flexible mains lead then clean and lubricate all the linkages and bearings.
    The top plate can be a bit vibrant so it helps to fix this down to a nice solid wood plinth
    All the ones I have heard haven't used the original arm so I cant comment on how good that is?, Steves lenco sounds good with a Jelco arm and I think the Rega and Linn arms would be OK but you will have to fill the old arm mounting hole and make an armboard
    I think the best sounding one I heard was a Slate plinth PTP mounting plate and an Ittok arm belonging to Paul3
    Like others have said Lenco heaven is the place to go
    Pic below is Steve (progmiester) Lenco

IMG_1911 by 337alant, on Flickr

Alan
    Thanks for the advice Alan. I think I will probably buy the turntable from my mate if I can get it for a good price and use it as a project. I had a quick look at Lenco Heaven and can see there are many routes to go down with this turntable. I think I will initially just rewire, clean and replace worn out parts and try and get it working as good as possible in its original condition. Then move onto more ambitious upgrading later.

I'm Andr'e.

It'll get to the stage soon where everyone will have destroyed 'L75's

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    It'll get to the stage soon where everyone will have destroyed 'L75's

Now come on Andre,

I got this when I modified the Dual. They are not great works of art and there are obviously plenty about so we are hardly likely to rid the world of the irreplaceable. Yes, they are good engineering but times change and if someone owns something and feels they get improvements from their changes, I just don't see the problem. If they do become rare, presumably the remaining owners will have something that could be considered an investment. But then they probably wouldn't use them for fear of reducing their value. Better to keep them going, doing what they were designed for, even if altered.

My Dual sounds better for the changes and I enjoy it more now.

I'm James.

Default A few pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast