+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPL M1TLm Ribbon Transmission Line

I'm rupert.

Default IPL M1TLm Ribbon Transmission Line

Hi everybody !

I have been searching around for information on these DIY speakers and they seem to garner a lot of very positive feedback. Has anyone here built a pair ?

the ones I would be interested in is the compact IPL M1TLm Ribbon Transmission Line model

M1tl-b.jpg

I'm alan.

Hi,I built a pair of S3TLM's nearly ten years ago,they are still being used every day,and i have no plans to replace them.
    Mine use the next size up mag bass unit and a SEAS tweeter,i can only think that the ribbon tweeter would be an improvement,as
    i very much doubt that Ivan would have changed to one with out a good reason.I had a great afternoon listening to all his speakers,
    and i just bought the biggest one i thought i could fit in my room,and have not regretted it once.
    PS,you can't beat a well designed transmission line for effortless bass IMO.
    Good Luck
    Revox B795,NVA Phono 1,Teac PD H500C,SB Touch,Mark Grant Linear PSU,Bushmaster MkII,NVA AP70,IPL LS3TLM.Royd Minstrels.

I'm Ben.

I have a pair of IPA speakers, Bought em from a guy on the wam about 15 months ago far what I considered a silly cheap price. Not sure of the model offhand but look very similar to those. I am very happy with them indeed (certainly an improvement on the MA RS8s I was previously using anyway) and cant see me parting with them any time soon.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm rupert.

Thanks for the feedback . Very encouraging indeed. I am in contact with Ivan from IPL concerning the shipping, etc. Ill have to get the wood locally otherwise the shipping would cost more than the speakers

One thing I have noticed is that the bass is mentioned a lot with these speakers. Are the mids, highs OK as well ? Are they coherent ? Sorry, I am kind of provoking an answer..

greetz
    ru

I'm alan.

Shame the complete kit is to heavy to ship,as it made the build very easy and went together over two weekends.As for the sonic balance of the sound i will say that the bass is ,unlike other transmission lines i have owned,very lively,the mids are clear and the treble superb.The main advantage is that if you follow Ivans instructions,you can tune the speakers to sound how you like them.The wool behind the bass unit will effect the mids,and the resister on the tweeter will effect the treble.I spent several weeks changing everything,to experiment with the sound and ended up back where i started,when i made them.
    Revox B795,NVA Phono 1,Teac PD H500C,SB Touch,Mark Grant Linear PSU,Bushmaster MkII,NVA AP70,IPL LS3TLM.Royd Minstrels.

I'm rupert.

That's what I hoped for

I have to check out how much it would cost to cut the MDF locally. But it should be possible. These really seem to be great speakers !
    I see you are using NVA amplification which is kind of a reference for my ears. So I'm sure your impressions are close to what I would hear as well. Great !!

Thank's for the FB.

All the best

Ru

I'm jeff.

Interesting thread. I have been looking at IPL for a while.

I have since spoken with Ivan and a guy called Richard Ellis (listed on the IPL website) who provides a professional build service they are incredibly passionate about the sound these speakers can produce - So much so I have ordered a pair of ST2LK without audition! The new drive units and redesigned crossovers have taken things a step forward I am told.

I could probably build them OK but I would rush in order to hear them! Further I want a professional veneer job so I went with a pro-build.

I'm Jerry.

Please post your impressions when you receive them. I think I would be looking at a real wood veneer rather than the iron on stuff if they are going in a main room.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Richard.

I am the person that Robert mentioned. (I am currently building a pair of S2tlK's for him). I have not heard the M1tlm's but you can be sure that all of Ivan's speakers are excellent and I'm certain that you won't be disappointed.
    As far as getting the MDF cut to size, perhaps your local carpentry shop could help? I have build many IPL speakers over the years so when you are ready to build I would be happy to offer you some additional advice that you won't find in the instuctions if you need it.

I'm alan.

All i can say is that no matter how well you build the first one,the second one is always better.Mind you they both sound the same,to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast