+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello everyone...

I'm Bram.

Default Hello everyone...

Hi there,

My name's Bram and I've been mucking around with stereos for 30 or so years. For most of that time I've had more than one system on the go and while I enjoy trying to get the most out of my "reference" system I must admit I have just as much fun salvaging and tweaking discarded components from sheds, markets and even the side of the road!

I've always used vinyl as my primary source (but got my first CD player in '83 - and I'm getting into the DACs lately) - and at the moment I've got eight TTs in various states. From a mildly-modded 30 buck Hitachi direct drive that my 8 year old son uses (actually sounds pretty good for the money!) through an old Thorens TD-125 with SME 3009/Shure V15-iii, a couple of 1200s (in constant use all day at the office), another Technics DD (1500) and beaten-up Marantz DD (6300) for garage use and an Origin Live Calypso (Conqueror MK2) in the main system. Thing is, out of all those decks (including the many others I've owned over the years) I just love using the 1200s the most - they make me want to play records. Which brings me to my joining you all at The Art of Sound. A few years back, just after production ceased, I bought a new 1210 and put it away. After a year I couldn't help myself (the kitchen really needed a turntable, believe me) so I set it up with a 2M Blue and put it to use for a few months. A house move meant it got boxed back up and it's sat unused for the last two years with probably only 50 hours on it total. It's like new. So of course now's the time to get at it with a pair of side-cutters and a soldering iron!

The trigger was coming into an SME M2-9 at a good price - so that and a MN bearing will be my starting point. Aim is to not go too crazy (although I've probably started down that road) -- just looking for a good sweet spot...

Music that I hope to flog to death on the new Tecchy runs a fair range: 50s rock 'n' roll (Buddy, Eddie, Richard, Fats); 60s/70s/80s rock, pop and soul (love Stax/Volt, Motown, Power Pop, New Wave); 60s/70s country (go Dolly!); 50s/60s jazz (and a bit of 70s fusion - Herbie et al); bit of Krautrock (Cluster, Neu); serious and silly 80s synthpop; Golden age hip-hop etc. etc. Though have to say the record collection thins out a bit after the early 90s...

Anyway, apologies for the long-winded intro!

Cheers,

Bram.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Bram. Welcome to AOS.

Well you've come to the right place for Technics info. Loads of users here and some heavily modified units in use too. Just about every Techie variation you can think of has been tried by somebody here.

What about the rest of your system? Tell us what you're using. And add some photos to our Gallery section. They'd be appreciated.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Hello and welcome to AoS Bram. like 50's stuff myself and have a few original vinyl from the day.
    Last edited by struth; 11-01-2015 at 20:53. Reason: typo
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Bram.

Geoff.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Bram,

Eight TTs! - Though I was daft with four. Anyway as other's have said you have come to the right place regarding the Technics decks. What does the rest of your system comprise?

Nice range of musical tastes you have.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread