+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jump leads as speaker cable?

I'm Andrew.

Default Jump leads as speaker cable?

Just a mad thought I've been having. Using four metre runs now I have been looking at thicker cable. I've used all sorts of random cable over the years but never this thick.

Any thoughts folk?

I'm Geoff.

Thick, thin, solid, stranded, it doesn't seem there's definitive 'good sounding' type. I have tried heavy jump lead as speaker cable, it wasn't great.

One of the best sounding cable I've come across in years is some cheap skinny stranded Transparent Audio stuff the looks like two core power cord for an electric appliance, but it sounds superb.

I'm just in the process of terminating some Audioquest Type 6 Hyperlitz speaker cable that I picked up at a sensible price. Now that is stiff and bulky. It has eight solid cores. I'm looking forward to hearing what it can do, rumour has it this is something rather special for an inexpensive cable.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Just a mad thought I've been having. Using four metre runs now I have been looking at thicker cable. I've used all sorts of random cable over the years but never this thick.

Any thoughts folk?
    I had similar thoughts some five years ago. Didn't persue the idea as most jump leads available in car accessory shops seem to use use poor quality copper: it is usually dull oxidised brown looking, rather than a nice shiny 'copper' colour.
    Barry

I'm James.

Many are aluminium now I'd noticed.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

At one time I thought about using welding cable, cable which routinely passes 200A. But again the quality of the copper appeared to be even poorer than that of car jump leads.

To provide a quick answer to the OP, I would use cable which has a low inductance and low resistance (and preferably low capacitance, but that conflicts with the preferred requirement of low inductance.. A general rule of thumb is to make sure the total loop resistance is no more than 5% of the nominal speaker impedance (say 6 Ohm, so the cable should add no more than 0.3 Ohm) with a total inductance of no more than 3uH; which can be provided by thick multistranded and twisted cable. You shouldn't go far wrong with 20A rated two-core cable.

Some amplifiers dispense with a Zobel network on the output. These amplifiers prefer speaker cable which has a low capacitance, otherwise the amplifiers can oscillate at supersonic frequencies.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-01-2015 at 20:40.
    Barry

I'm James.

I have some 1930's Western Electric telegraph cable, apparently very high quality copper shrouded / wrapped in cloth. Bit stiff and thick (oh err) but worked well in my system. Nice airy sound with good detail, just a bit difficult jamming it into speaker /amp terminals as its so thick. Not terminated just bare wire connection. Can't get plugs on the bugger
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm just in the process of terminating some Audioquest Type 6 Hyperlitz speaker cable that I picked up at a sensible price. Now that is stiff and bulky. It has eight solid cores. I'm looking forward to hearing what it can do, rumour has it this is something rather special for an inexpensive cable.
    Well I've just finished terminating these, so I might as well show them here:

They're nice and chunky. Not had time listen to them yet.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Thinking that solid cable might be better than braided speaker cable I once got some mains cable with solid twin & earth and used the positive as speaker cable, it was the worst I have EVER heard my system.
    I have also found that cables with silver in them makes my system sound harsh/brittle.
    I had my Chord Rumour speaker cables Cryo'd and did a direct comparison at the HiFi shop, it was a no-brainer and I'm happy with it.
    However in the near future speaker cable is a field I will be experimenting in.

just my 2 penneth

Enjoy your music

Cheers Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

+ Reply to Thread