+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macbook numpty question

I'm Dave.

Default Macbook numpty question

OK, numpty time again.

I have a Macbook and I'd like to put some music on it to demonstrate various bits of kit via USB. I don't want to do the i-tune thing, just a handful of CDs will do but the Macbook hasn't got a CD/DVD drive.

Help..

I'm David.

If you absolutely need a drive, you can get external USB drive, either from Apple or third party.

Mac OS X also allow you to use the drive of another Mac on the same network if you have one.

Finally, any computer you can rip files to can be used to share the resultant files by wifi/net connection.

Does that help?

David
    Vinyl: Townshend Rock Elite II, Trans-fi Terminator, Nagaoka MP-100, Rega Aria
    CD: Sugden Bijou CDMaster
    Digital: Mac mini, Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100
    Output: Naim Nait XS 2, Ruark Talisman II
    Fairy dust: MS Audio / Klotz MC500 interconnects, Mark Grant Gold IEC power cords

I'm Dave.

Thanks for that.

I have a Windows 7 laptop with a DVD drive. Can I connect that to the Macbook and download the music on that to the Macbook or do I use the Windows machine as a drive only ?

I did say I am a numpty, right !!!

I'm David.

You can't use the Windows laptop as a remote drive from the Mac, but you can rip music on your laptop and then transfer them to your Mac (and a number of ways to do that depending on how you are set up).

Nothing numpty about your query. If you don't know, you don't know. That doesn't make anyone a numpty. The numpty is the person who doesn't know and doesn't ask!
    Fairy dust: MS Audio / Klotz MC500 interconnects, Mark Grant Gold IEC power cords

I'm Dave.

I have some CDs downloaded onto the Windows laptop. Do I just connect that to the Macbook via USB and download ?

I'm David.

There are USB solutions I have seen in the past, but you can't just plug in a USB cable and expect it to work.

You can use a USB stick or hard drive and transfer it that way. If the stick/drive is Windows formatted the Mac will be able to read it, although Windows machines can't read Mac formatted devices.

Or you can look your machines together on the same network (or directly with a single networking cable) and transfer that way. There are a number of tutorials on this. This one is reasonably clear I think, although if this is all new to you it might feel a little overwhelming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPURiFdEjaQ

It's in two parts, it shows you how to share from your Mac to Windows, and from Windows to your Mac - but either approach would allow you to share files both ways.

Hope that helps.

David

I'm Dave.

Thanks David. It does look a bit daunting for me, so I will attempt the USB stick approach.

I'm Paul.

I would definitely import the CD's on your Windows machine and then transfer via USB stick to the Apple… either way you could use iTunes to import the music, but if you prefer there are plenty of other options available for free on internet.

For playback on the Mac, I would advise using iTunes, it is just sooo much easier

Paul.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Dave.

OK. I have now loaded some music files from my Windows laptop to a USB stick which plays absolutely fine in the laptop. However, it doesn't work in the Macbook.It loads and I can open the file, pick a track and play but there is no sound from internal speakers, headphone socket or USB out. I've checked that the 'sound' facility box thingy is checked to play but there is no sound.

What am I doing wrong ?

I'm David.

Do you know what format the Windows files are?

What software are you using to play?

Have you checked System Preferences -> Sound -> Sound Output to make sure correct output is selected and a volume is set at something you can hear?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast