+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dual 1019

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I have two Garrard '60' type models (an early AT6 and a 60mk2, the latter now with a synchro-lab motor) and they're great for singles. I don't think they're very good in modern terms though, although ripping the arm and mech off makes them something else than an SP25 though Mind you, some of my all time favourite albums (Led Zep II, and PF's Meddle) were first heard on an SP25 III with AT66, Metrosound ST20 and Denton W20's and left a real impression, to the extent I now have an ST20 in need of TLC and the Dentons are great, if a touch 'foggy' by modern standards.

Gordon, if you prefer the Dual without the gubbins then fine, but there's so little that could add nasty resonances in all honesty. The main cam is closely pivoted at its centre and Alvania grease was used to prevent wear and 'rattles.' The main operating lever is also tightly spring loaded and stiffly pivoted in both planes, so can't buzz or rattle when not in use and the cueing/size lever is also sat on the main lever with a smear of grease preventing any vibration. The only part that possibly 'could' affect things in my experience is the main trip slider, which is delrin? pivoted at the tonearm end and slides/rolls on a ball at the platter end. The tonearm end could perhaps be ever so gently lubed with a tiny smear of fine silicon grease, but as all Duals use a version of this part (even my beloved 701 which is auto and proud of it!) I don't know.

Academic I know and sorry to chip in again. I've become rather a fan of these as you know rather too well by now
    Enthusiasm should be a test of being human.

I'm Nodrog.

Now the Dual is in place, I am being a bit overwhelmed with offers of old TTs, gawd knows where I going to put them. I collect a JVC linear tracker tomorrow, don't know which model yet. he says he has another TT in the loft which he will try and look out as well!! Might even be something decent!!

Poor old Grommit is going to get squeezed out!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456