+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Drift - pros & cons?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

i do let my self get interested in lyrics once in a while if i notice something that i can relate to in some way.
    Same here... Usually only, though, when the music is simple acoustic-based, i.e. solo vocalist playing a piano or acoustic guitar, etc. John Martyn is good for this, as I find his lyrics especially poignant

Otherwise I get too caught up in the tune/melody to care!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dan.

oh dear, I seem to have opened up a can of worms....

I hope no one thought my previous post was written in anger, or as a personal attack, because that's not how I meant it at all...

I just meant it as an observation... For example Nirvana, another one of the bands cited as massively overrated. Again, I like them, I became aware of them (like most) around the time of Nevermind, and he is the victim along with many others of "Becoming a rock martyr was the best thing he could have done for his record sales and reputation blah blah blah blah"
    Codswallop. They were the biggest band in the world well before he topped himself, and they are so often cited as overrated, that they've become underrated IMHO.

Another point raised was the fact of not liking a band/artist because of something that they've said or done... For example the John Lennon/IRA thing.
    I personally try to distance myself from the personality/politics of the musician... My girlfriend for example refuses to listen to anything that Sting ever did, including The Police, and Oysterhead, because of something he said about the unemployed in the 80s. So he's a tosser, he's still a great singer. I have been one of the few that never stopped listening to Michael Jackson, even throughout the Anti Semite, paedophile business. Rock n Roll part 2 by Gary Glitter is a good record
    Axl Rose, jesus! where to start! racist, homophobic, a complete arsehole, but great music nonetheless!
    Consequently, I don't hate U2, because Bono is an smug, arrogant toss pot, I hate U2 because they make terrible bland music.

Again, please don't take this as an attack, I don't want to be an AOS pariah, I've just got here and I rather like it

Oh and hamish, I still like the Deftones and Coal Chamber for that matter, I'm off to trash my bedroom and cut myself!

I'm Nick.

I'm in agreement that The Beatles are overrated too They were massively influential, but I just don;t like a lot of their music. Funnily enough, I tend to like their songs when they are played by other people. I would argue that The Byrds are massively underrated and that their sound probably resonates more in indie-pop than that of any other band.

Oasis wwere definitely massively overrated, and Nirvana (we must have gone to the same 'school' Dan!). Nirvana came in on the tailend of the sub-pop scene after loads of other bands had written the rules - Dinosaur Jnr, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Mudhoney. And likewise Oasis, who came in on the tailend of the 80's Creation indie-scene, repackaged it for lager drinkers and sold out to the highest bidder.

If no-ones split this thread by this evening I'll do it cos it deserves it's own place!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No, Nick, I understand why you would do so, but please leave it as it is.

It serves as an excellent example of what AOS is all about, and I'm not taking about thread drift; I'm talking about the way in which people here can offer constructive criticism quite forcefully, but with no-one falling out, and then go on to discuss emotive subjects, such as the aspects of music currently being debated, in an honest and heart-felt way without being villified or made to feel 'inferior' in any way...

This for me is what makes our forum special and different from most other places

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

dan -
    ha coal chamber.. i forgot about them... grat stuff! i still quite like sytem of a down too
    im just not sure about deftones... it just makes me feel litereally a bit dead inside! a feeling i think i was aiming for at 14-20 ish (uderstandably i think) i dont really like that feeling anymore ... maybe its as much down to the music its self as it is the getting over a period of my life that wasnt very happy that i dont like them anymore?? which i supose brings up the idea of assosiatative memory and music... i love spin doctors for example whenever i hear them i do remember the feeling of being a kid (before the shit hit the fan ..)
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

Dan. Nothing you have said is in the least offensive, I think that people just like different stuff, regardless of how 'big' the bands are - we just like different things it is human nature.

I also try not to let my personal feelings about a band member get in the way of the music, though in truth most of the artists I like I have no issues with.

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm David.

pixes... now theres a band! and a song 'where is my mind' do you remember i had that as my phone ring tone dan ...those were "interesting" days eh?

ooo ... im being all cliquey with dan now
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Dan.

did I ever tell you that I met the singer of Coal Chamber a couple of times?

I don't remember the pixies ringtone I'm afraid, I can remember Chris trying to sing it in his Westlife voice and getting the words wrong though...

Oh yes, in contrast to my previous posts, has anyone heard the song 'Learning To Hate The Beatles' by the Tom Morton Two? Funny stuff...

I never really did my personal slant on the Beatles did I? I don't really like the twee early stuff, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, Help etc...
    In my opinion, they got good around Rubber Soul, and I love pretty much everything after that. Yes even the druggy experimental stuff. Especially but not limited to, 'Tomorrow Never Knows', the whole of Abbey Road, and the first half of the White Album

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJennings View Post
    oh dear, I seem to have opened up a can of worms....

I hope no one thought my previous post was written in anger, or as a personal attack, because that's not how I meant it at all...

I just meant it as an observation... For example Nirvana, another one of the bands cited as massively overrated. Again, I like them, I became aware of them (like most) around the time of Nevermind, and he is the victim along with many others of "Becoming a rock martyr was the best thing he could have done for his record sales and reputation blah blah blah blah"
    Codswallop. They were the biggest band in the world well before he topped himself, and they are so often cited as overrated, that they've become underrated IMHO.

Another point raised was the fact of not liking a band/artist because of something that they've said or done... For example the John Lennon/IRA thing.
    I personally try to distance myself from the personality/politics of the musician... My girlfriend for example refuses to listen to anything that Sting ever did, including The Police, and Oysterhead, because of something he said about the unemployed in the 80s. So he's a tosser, he's still a great singer. I have been one of the few that never stopped listening to Michael Jackson, even throughout the Anti Semite, paedophile business. Rock n Roll part 2 by Gary Glitter is a good record
    Axl Rose, jesus! where to start! racist, homophobic, a complete arsehole, but great music nonetheless!
    Consequently, I don't hate U2, because Bono is an smug, arrogant toss pot, I hate U2 because they make terrible bland music.

Again, please don't take this as an attack, I don't want to be an AOS pariah, I've just got here and I rather like it

Oh and hamish, I still like the Deftones and Coal Chamber for that matter, I'm off to trash my bedroom and cut myself!
    Hi Dan

No I have not fallen out with you nor are you an AOS Pariah

The John Lennon IRA thing was serious at the time and frankly is a classic example of where pop/celebrities should (if they have one) engage brain before opening their mouths. I have no issue with people in fame positions using that to raise or support issues, but it should be carefully considered before being commented on.

Actually I don't like any of the post Beatles solo artists perhaps with the exception of Live and let die by Wings. John and Georges post Beatles music is self indulgent/fatuous/hypocritical rubbish IMHO....however many like it I don't. And Ringo ummmm Thomas the Tank Engine.

However where I would take issue with what you say would be if a musician/group are involved in criminal or offensive behaviour, despite their musical talent why should we support them in that area. To do that is to say that what they do or say elsewhere is okay. I say no to that. It is fact this sheep mentality that has allowed our society to slip to where it is now, same with politics. There must be accountability for ones actions....in all areas of life.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Dan.

Actually I don't like any of the post Beatles solo artists perhaps with the exception of Live and let die by Wings. John and Georges post Beatles music is self indulgent/fatuous/hypocritical rubbish IMHO....however many like it I don't. And Ringo ummmm Thomas the Tank Engine.
    I'll happily admit that most of the post beatles stuff was sub par, with a couple of exceptions

John: Cold Turkey and Instant Karma were quite good... The Ono stuff was nonsense, and to quote the aforementioned Tom Morton song "I will commit a serious crime if I hear Imagine just one more time"

Paul: I see your Live and Let Die, and raise you Band on the Run. You can stick the frog chorus and mull of kintyre somewhere rude.

George: you can't take Travelling Wilburys away from him can you?! one great album and one OK album, and one great Tom Petty album which was basically Travelling wilbury album 3

Ringo: Erm, quite, well he's still alive...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast