+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Tweeters & Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds

I'm Deleted.

Default Super Tweeters & Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds

I'll find the link - I think you can buy them on eBay UK now for less than £25 each. I'll have a look tomorrow for you.

As super tweeters they punch well above their weight as they have quite a broadband output - they aren't very linear at the bottom end of their range but as a super tweeter the crossover point is way higher than their patchy output level and from 15k to 40K they are more linear than most alternatives (RALL excluded) and have good dispersion too.
    Account Deleted

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    To all that's answered, thanks! It's much appreciated.

Cabs not sorted yet altough I'm probably gonna have sort out, get the cash together and either go down the handmade Lockwood route or have a word with Paul at RFC for some Fidelio's (SIC?). Then, new pre-amp and probably a couple of new monoblocks!

What sort of cost are we looking at Mark?
    Sounds like you have your work cut out then, sounds ruddy great!

By all means try some ST's - the ones Mark shows look ideal and to be honest they're more appealing in regards to them being ribbon rather than dome... IMO

I'm Deleted.

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dayton-Aud...item4ae29411e2

-----
    The RAAL 130-15D has the best high frequencies I've heard from any driver - but then they are $630 each and rather over the top just to be used as a supertweeter as it's really a tweeter than goes very high (it's not exactly small either):

Last edited by YNWaN; 06-01-2015 at 08:54.
    Account Deleted

I'm Josie.

That looks superb!... Pricey but well worth it I'd imagine. Ribbons are much nicer than metal dome IMO.

The ST200's are really nice to look at though... lol

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Yep.. they sound good but I personally couldn't get on with them though with the 12" MG's. Why?... VFM didn't seem to balance. I paid something like £700 for them and I've not missed them.

As been said before, ST's are a 'suck it and see' kinda thing.

I had the ST200's too. They are very cute things I must admit.

I do like ST's, and I really liked them in the Harby SHL5's and the Dali Helicon 800 MKII's (although they were ribbon, much nicer, smoother sound me thinks)... Dunno, maybe they worked better for me in the staggered driver configuration rather than a DC.

btw.. Andrew... have you sorted your cabs yet? - If not then that is where the effort should go in to IMO and not Supertweeters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    That looks superb!... Pricey but well worth it I'd imagine. Ribbons are much nicer than metal dome IMO.

The ST200's are really nice to look at though... lol

As I said I love them with MGs in Lockwoods I have a small room and the bass can be lumpy, but and of course it's all a case of intermodulation, the STs not only give a greater sense of space they smooth the overall response. On talking to my mate who is an ex Tannoy rep, who sold me mine, what I have are the first prodution batch of the ST 200 which have different printing on the top saying Universal rather than Prestige. I was lucky enough to get these from him, with the dedicated VDH cables for £300 and the cables alone were about that at the time.

The thing is they blend so well with the MG sound, I can't recommend them enough.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of trying super-tweeters with my 15” MGs, but it’s something I’d have to hear first in my system, before shelling out for a pair, primarily because although no speakers are perfect, to my ears, nothing obviously needs ‘fixed’ with my Lockwoods.

There is no audible lack of top-end ‘sparkle’ or high-frequency extension (quite the opposite), nor do they (or my room) suffer from lumpy bass, and I have no desire to ‘smooth’ their response - all of which sums up why I haven’t gone there yet, as it were, with super-tweeters.

I’m not saying that they wouldn’t make an improvement, but I’d need someone to loan me their pair, or bring some round to try, before I’d commit myself to buying any

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

When I added mine (super tweeters that is) I didn't think they altered the bass (though I have read this before) or 'smoothed' the response in the mid. In fact, I didn't think they really did anything other than add a touch of perceived 'air' to the sound and slightly better focused stereo and sense of depth.

The RAAL units are expensive but the ones I used are about £27 each (the small ones I eBay linked to).
    Account Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    When I added mine (super tweeters that is) I didn't think they altered the bass (though I have read this before) or 'smoothed' the response in the mid. In fact, I didn't think they really did anything other than add a touch of perceived 'air' to the sound and slightly better focused stereo and sense of depth.
    That’s all I’d be looking for too, Mark. However, the speakers we use are radically different, so there’s no way of me being able to predict the outcome.

The RAAL units are expensive but the ones I used are about £27 each (the small ones I eBay linked to).
    Do you have a link to the more expensive RAAL units? Apart from anything else, I like the look of those and think they’d fit well with the Tannoys

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

Default Super Tweeters & Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds

I would have to look up a link for the Raal's. If you just Google the model number it will come up easily. The unit I showed a picture of is intended as a tweeter and not a super tweeter as such (though it extends quite flat beyond 40K. To use it just as super tweeter would be to not use 70% of its capabilities which seems a touch wasteful. Sq225917 (Simon) has a pair of these exact units that he uses with his Yamahas but he has disconnected the standard tweeter. You could also do that with your speakers but it would mean making some pretty major changes! Not much point in a duel-concentric driver with the tweeter disconnected IMO.

RAAL do make a smaller (and cheaper) version but it isn't as linear above 20K so isn't as well suited to being a super tweeter IMO.

Yes our speakers are quite different but there's no reason why just extending the frequency range at the top end should have a different impact.
    Account Deleted

Indeed, however, Paul’s earlier remark (a Tannoy 15” MG owner himself) about the STs ‘smoothing the overall response’, would worry me, as I wouldn’t be looking to ‘smooth' anything. My system’s all about realism and maximum information retrieval, delivered in an addictive, musical sounding, non-fatiguing way.

Therefore, any further improvement would have to be along those lines. I’ll have a look at the RAAL stuff, but it’s pretty much immaterial, as there’s no way I’d go down that road without listening to their effect first.

Perhaps Paul would loan me his STs, as they should simply be ‘plug & play’ in my system?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast