+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Centre Speakers Suck

I'm Mark.

Well !! Although I agree matching two different speakers, a centre and stereo pair is not the easiest task it is possible even from different brands and Denzel Washington doesn't have to sound like he's in a box !
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Mike.

i know i'm coming to this party a bit late, but i regularly listen to my a/v setup with stereo music re jigged and pumped out over a 5.1 setup using some of the clever jigery pokery in the amp, this makes my listening room sound much bigger than it actually is, the rears add the echo that you would expect from a larger room, the centre does what i believe a centre speaker should do and simply add a little bit of focus to what would be an extended stereo soundstage. And before any one harps up I KNOW MY SETUP ISN'T STEREO but who said listening to music had to be done in stereo, i thought the idea was to recreate a lifelike representation, 5.1 does that and more, i wouldn't blame your centre speaker, i'd blame the decoder, i.e. choose one that works best with the medium your using, if i'm watching a movie i have the amp set up completely differently to when i'm listening to music.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Grant.

I used to have a 5.1 system and very good it was. I then got a Yamaha soundbar thingy and felt what I lost in some respects I gained in focus. You can even add a sub if you feel the need. Dont use it now but I did find it very enjoyable listed and would have no qualms about going back to a system again... amp was a kenwood.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Malcolm.

I like the idea of the 4.0 setup for music - you might call it quadrophonic - where perhaps two pairs of mini-monitors that disappear in stereo could all but vanish into a 3D holographic soundstage. Nice. You need a powerful surround processor though, with a well specified chip (lots of MIPS) as you've got do some serious computing to put the six discrete channels of a 5.1 recording into four speakers. (This has been my experience with my subwoofer-less 5.0 system.)

Matching your centre channel as closely as possible to the main left-right pair is essential. The same brand helps, the same range is better, an identical third speaker is perfect. I have had my speakers now for 15 years, and have not been tempted to look elsewhere.

For me this (or something like it) is the perfect layout for a centre speaker. Tall, bulky and heavy when it was sat on top of my Sony Trinitron, it is perfect now in the days of plasmas and projection screens where it has its own dedicated stand .

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234