+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JVC Loudspeakers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    It's the one where the owner practices biassed moderation of the worst kind, deleting posts to alter the history of threads to suit his own agenda while allowing his acolytes Squealer, Snowball & the Old Major free reign. Bizzarely these are the very traits he campaigns against.

What happened was: One of his acolytes I now call squealer wrote "Dont fall for it Dave Dont whatever you do ask him which I took as humour and responded in jest with an analogy to the alegory of the cave and Napoleon took offence and told me not to play games. Now if I had started "the games" I would have left it at that but his modus operandi of of not applying his forum rules on a fair and just basis brought his true character to the surface and post started to be deleted and and after it became obvious I was dealing with a closed mind and ridgid dogma I posted no more.

No loss to me as I've never before come across such an unwelcoming paranoid, clueless bunch of idiots who clearly did not appreciate my input.

Say no more. Needless to say, in terms of that place, we’re on the same page!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    These are also Victors, don't know the model, impressive though. Huge mid domes and an array of slot lens horn tweeters.

Love the looks… Gosh, I can imagine that on the end of a good valve amp, the results with those would be stunning!

They’re from the wide-baffle school, too!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    No doubt at all. I think at some stage most of the mainstream Japanese manufacturers produced JBLesque products.

I like JBL's, still have one pair plus various drivers etc and over the years I've quite owned a few. I recently refurbed a pair of 4341's which I would have kept if I did'nt already have 3 sets of great speakers.

There is a lot of misinformation regarding JBL in the UK, usually generated by people who have never heard them. I found a thread on another forum about JBL not long ago where there was speculation regarding the purpose of the slant lens plate. I gave them the data I had on it and would have contributed more but it seems the forum owner Richard Cranium runs the HiFi verion of Animal Farm. Napoleon, Squealer, Snowball & the Old Major are all there and only Napoleons version of the truth is allowed, so I left them to wallow in their small minded delusions.
    I come on audio forums to share my knowledge of UK based vintage gear, together with my decades in the retail side of the UK audio industry. I also come here to LEARN and have pre-conceived ideas challenged (Marco and I have a 'history' of this now ) with fresh insights. Big early 70's JBL's and others of their ilk were not seriously represented in the UK since Tannoy still had this market all but sewn up I think, as well as IMF I recall, but by the early to mid 70's and for a short while before the Linn/Naim thing all but killed the variety in the UK industry, big JBL's and Altec's were shown in the bigger dealers in London and elsewhere (there was a dedicated room at Totty Ct Road's Lion House basement I remember fondly).

So PLEASE, leave the other forum alone if you don't want attention drawn to yourself. Stay here and share your knowledge. I for one would love to know more about some of the bigger Japanese and US speakers we rarely if ever saw
    Last edited by Marco; 27-12-2014 at 13:46. Reason: Sorry, Dave, blatant references to banned sites and those in them removed. Please do not repeat that again - ta!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Dave, if you wish to debate issues that have occurred on other forums with Andy, please take it up via PM.

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

No need for PM discussions about it. I want to learn about these speakers, as do other contributors on this thread. No need for nastiness on any 'side' as we're all in this together I thought - the reproduction of music in different ways. THIS way is a novel one we here in the UK rarely saw (smaller rooms, insular attitude towards 'foreign' loudspeakers?).

Apologies all, I'll not say more I promise!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Ok, fine, and so that’s now an end to the matter. I should state that any further input of that nature (from anyone involved in the discussion ‘over there’) will be deleted without further warning.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I for one would love to know more about some of the bigger Japanese and US speakers we rarely if ever saw

If you want US speakers.

How about a pair of ESS AMT1b speakers with the fabulous Heil pleated ribbon mid/tweeter unit. I've heard a few ESS speakers and always been stunned by the abilities of that driver.

Or some nice Infinity speakers.

And of course I love big Altecs.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Big altecs on castors. You could sit on one and row yourself around with a broom
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

JBL C51 Apollo. Very nice!

15" bass driver. The odd looking round thing centre top is a mid/high compression horn with diffuser lens. The silver unit is a ring horn tweeter/super tweeter.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gone.

Way back in the mists of time, when I was JVC(UK)'s first ever technical liason officer one of the bits of my empire was the trade only showroom in Staples Corner. Japan would send over kit for evaluation for the UK market, one of the best things was the huge collection of really esoteric speakers in the place. This included thing like the FB-5 horns, which, purely for reasons of space you understand, I stored in my living room at home forvtwo years One of the items I worked on was the Zero series of speakers and I specified the final version of the ribbon in the horn tweeter. With slight mods to the crossover we replaced the cone tweeter in the FB-5s with a Zero horn and the sound was amazing. Really wish I hadn't had to give them back when I left to run the Recording Studio in the Rainbow Theatre.

On the fact that all the Jap companies made JBL type speakers in those days, we were going to the same manufacturers as JBL for the pulp for the speaker cones. It was agreat job then along came the flat earthers and killed it.... Despite the fact that the top DDs with good Japanese MC carts could blow the LP12 etc out of yhe water

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast