+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap DVD player as a transport - ever tried it?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You'll never guess what I do with my DV-717. I play DVDs with it!
    True they are ok for that as well..

Actually my spare 717 is used for DVD's however it pretty much doesn't ever get used...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Josie.

You really need to try one of these my friend.

It's more than probable that it's built to the same or exceeding quality as your Accuphase. Not as pretty, granted but as a transport you simply can't fault it... for the price it's a complete no brainer. Laser pickups are still available too and are 'supposed' to be easy to fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Copper plated chassis... blah blah blah, last of the real sony's...blah, battleship/tank build, loss leader, heavy as a fecking AGA, negative re-coupe due to over engineering hence they stopped making such splendid machines.

Won't play copied discs though which to some is a bummer but plays CDRW's - Anyway, cd's are cheap as chips these days so why not. For this amount of attention to detail and engineering it's worth it.

Is it better than a 717?.. no idea as I've not compared them... but it's a lovely thing to use.

I'm gone.

Sorry to hear of your Accuphase disaster.

I have to confess that having heard an Accuphase cdp ( a 55V) directly compared to my vintage Technics SL-P1200 cdp they wouldn't be on my Want List anyway - too laid back and smooooth for me. To my ears the Techie was much more vivid and interesting to listen to.

I use a Pioneer DV-737 as a CD transport - I'd happily put it up against any CD player or transport I have ever heard. £50-£100 on ebay. Superb would be the "1 Word Review", they really benefit from a good digital interconnect. But a very different sound from the Accudoze so it may be a bit upfront for you and not to your liking.

Just IMO & YMMV etc.
    Last edited by jandl100; 14-12-2014 at 08:19.

I'm Mark.

What model is that Sony battleship Jo?

I'm Pete.

Looks like a DVP-S9000ES to me...
    CDP: Primare CD31 Amp: Audio Note Oto SE DAC: M2Tech Young & Van Der Graaf PSU Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots
    Streaming: bespoke Korus server with SOtM soundcard, AudioQuest Jitterbug & Furutech GT2 USB cable
    Speaker Cable: Tellurium Q Black - Interconnects: MS Audio/Klotz MC5000

Come Chill With Me...
    https://www.mixcloud.com/orbscure
    http://theorbscureddj.blogspot.co.uk
    + play + enjoy + float + dream +

I'm Andrew.

Can't argue with the Sony option mentioned. My dvp-s7700 still sits here as a spare although I am tempted to let it go. Similar battleship build to the 9000es but as I can't remember the last time I watched a DVD it is a bit wasted.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Markiii View Post
    What model is that Sony battleship Jo?
    Yep, it's the DVP-S9000ES.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    You really need to try one of these my friend.

It's more than probable that it's built to the same or exceeding quality as your Accuphase. Not as pretty, granted but as a transport you simply can't fault it... for the price it's a complete no brainer. Laser pickups are still available too and are 'supposed' to be easy to fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Copper plated chassis... blah blah blah, last of the real sony's...blah, battleship/tank build, loss leader, heavy as a fecking AGA, negative re-coupe due to over engineering hence they stopped making such splendid machines.

Won't play copied discs though which to some is a bummer but plays CDRW's - Anyway, cd's are cheap as chips these days so why not. For this amount of attention to detail and engineering it's worth it.

Is it better than a 717?.. no idea as I've not compared them... but it's a lovely thing to use.
    Hehehe… Nice one, Joe. Did you hear me raving about these before? I’ve mentioned them many times in the past as being superb. Enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Does anyone know if the DVP-S9000ES can play copied CD's ok ?

Thanks
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Josie.

It won't play burned cd's but will play CD-RW's - As for redbook standard cd's it's a machine to behold, transport wise or with using it's internal dac.

Hi Marco. Sure have matey... they are quite astonishing.

Hoopsontoast can also vouch for this machine's qualities as well as it's internal dac. He's been using one for quite a while now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast