+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap DVD player as a transport - ever tried it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Steven.

Default Cheap DVD player as a transport - ever tried it?

Hi

Well, my Accuphase DP-500 is virtually dead (6 months nightmare that is far from over - all will be revealed when it is resolved...). Whilst I am bustin to share my horrendous experience with AoS members because there is much to learn from it, the whole debacle is still at a delicate stage legally, so I am keeping shtum for now.

What I will say at this stage is that I was treated abominably by Accuphase UK who said they would repair my machine and, after testing it, decided they would not even though they knew what the problem was and could get the parts. So, Richard Barnard reassembled my faulty CD player and sent it back to me at my expense. The shipping costs I incurred whilst benefitting from this appalling service was £130. Nice eh? Imagine if I had spent £36,000 on Accuphase's flagship CD player and then had to suffer that kind of service? So, dear AoS member, I recommend that you give R.T. Services (that's Robert Purnell, Accuphase UK distributor - website not updated since February 2012...) and Richard Barnard a very wide berth.

I am pretty sure that the DAC in my DP-500 is still working (and, it is one helluva DAC too). Accuphase UK thought so, so it must be okay! Since I can use this DAC as a standalone machine I thought (with the help of The Grand Wazzoo) that using a cheap DVD player (strapped for cash!) as a transport for my DP-500's DAC would get me listening to CDs again. You can get new Sony DVD players with a digital output that play CDs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs for less than £30. SH Blueray players can be had for similar money and that would give me SACD capability too. Has anyone tried this?

Imagine if this cheap DVD player transport option produced similar results to the 18lb monster transport in my DP-500? In this crazy world, anything is possible!

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
    "Jingoism, racism, fear, religious fundamentalism: these are the ways of appealing to people if you're trying to organize a mass base of support for policies that are really intended to crush them".
    Noam Chomsky

Current set up:
    Benchmark LA4 pre-amplifier and AHB2 power amplifier
    Sony CDP-X707ES CD player
    Sony CDP-X505ES CD player
    Topping D90SE DAC
    Sony DVP-NS900V used as a transport only
    Technics SLPG-590 CD player used as a transport only
    Marantz CD6000SE CD player used as a transport only
    Revel Performa3 M105 speakers and matching stands
    Massdrop thxaaa 789 headphone amplifier
    Audeze LCD-XC (2021 Revision) Headphones
    Connecty things: Chord, Accuphase, QED, AoS 'Barry Special', silly cheap Chinese USB cable (AMAZING value hifi product)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Accudazed View Post
    o. Has anyone tried this?

Imagine if this cheap DVD player transport option produced similar results to the 18lb monster transport in my DP-500? In this crazy world, anything is possible!
    I applaud the sentiment but it's not true as often as you might wish.

I've tried using DVD and BD players as transports, using both the DAC of a Cambridge 840C ( tried with both upsampling and regular options) and the DAC in my XTZ amp.

In all cases I thought the players sounded better stand alone. The BD player was noticeably inferior to the DVD player. Some proper CD players fared better than both but again not as good as standalone.

I was gutted since I love a cheap solution. Who doesn't?

On the other hand I have read anecdotal evidence from others where cheap Tesco DVD players used as transports have wiped the floor with a couple of grands worth of Wadia or whatever. So I wouldn't rule out doing your own experimentation, especially as it is by definition, cheap. These things can often be system dependant. It would help if anyone knew precisely why a digital transport effects the sound. I agree that it does but the explanations I have seen are pretty weak.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Silly question, but I was sitting in my car waiting for my Wife this morning, listening to the Pioneer car CD player and wandering if anyone has ever used such a player simply as a transport? They have to be pretty sturdy to put up with conditions in a car, they run on a 12V supply so would be isolated from the mains, they have slot loading so no flimsy drawer to break etc. Just wondered. If they read the digital signal to a decent DAC maybe, just maybe . . . ?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcC View Post
    Silly question, but I was sitting in my car waiting for my Wife this morning, listening to the Pioneer car CD player and wandering if anyone has ever used such a player simply as a transport? They have to be pretty sturdy to put up with conditions in a car, they run on a 12V supply so would be isolated from the mains, they have slot loading so no flimsy drawer to break etc. Just wondered. If they read the digital signal to a decent DAC maybe, just maybe . . . ?
    Never tried it, but I see your logic.

I've never tried one of those DJ players that look like mini turntables, either, but I quite fancy giving it a go. Trouble is the well built ones are expensive even used.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    If you use it as an file based player you can get better results. Worth a try. Use either WAV or FLAC download onto a stick or SSD and connect to the player via the USB input. You will need a screen to access the menu but a lot better performance than using as a CD transport
    This is definitively worth a try. This works for example on my Oppo BDP 105. I have played CD quality rips, mp3s, hi-rez files (flac ans wav) and a fair bit of DSD content this way. In theory this should sound better than reading from a spinning source.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcC View Post
    Yes I have wondered before about the inherently severe vibration of the motor vehicle. Interesting idea but getting digital output would be tricky.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm ILOB.

If you use it as an file based player you can get better results. Worth a try. Use either WAV or FLAC download onto a stick or SSD and connect to the player via the USB input. You will need a screen to access the menu but a lot better performance than using as a CD transport
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Grant.

1/Plenty good cheap old dvd players make good transport imo. The old Poneers etc.

2/Keep it in the rack for looks and use flac files from a pc
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Steve I'm so sorry to hear of all the problems you are having with Accuphase... nightmare..

I've been using a Pioneer DV717 for a while now and I have no complaints, and I believe there a couple of others on here using them as well. I did have a Meridian 506 before and while it was pretty good I believe I've improved on it by using the 717 into a Rega Dac

I purchased a second 717 just to keep as a 'spare' as they are so cheap.. £50 should buy you a nice one.. my two are in the rather 'fetching' champagne colour, which is nice !!

I have a friend that also swapped his Meridian for a Pioneer DV989, sort of a more up to date 717, and also using it with a Rega Dac and he's very happy ... However the 717's are proper Made In Japan jobbies which I think makes a difference..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I've been using a Pioneer DV717 for a while now and I have no complaints, and I believe there a couple of others on here using them as well.
    You'll never guess what I do with my DV-717. I play DVDs with it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You'll never guess what I do with my DV-717. I play DVDs with it!
    True they are ok for that as well..

Actually my spare 717 is used for DVD's however it pretty much doesn't ever get used...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast