+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technics turntables, headshells and cartridges

Question Technics turntables, headshells and cartridges

Hi,

A question if I may, please bear in mind that I am new to all this and what I am about to ask may be daft.

I have recently acquired a Technics SL1700 and while I can hear that there is potential there it is along way from it being where it could be.

Thinking about improving things it is obvious that I cannot use the headshell on the SL1700 to take advantage of the vast array of cartridges that are available for the SL1200 as the fittings for the cartridge are different.

However it would appear that the fitting at the end of the tone arm between it and the headshell are identical in both the SL1200 and the SL1700. Is this correct? If it is does this mean that I could simply replace the headshell and open up a whole new world of possibilities?

Hi Gav.

We might need some pics of the headshell you have or someone (Marco) may need to pay you a visit to have a look before anyone can advise further.

I do know that tonearms and headshells (and most bits) for all Technics turntables seem to cost buttons so the possibilities for you may yet prove to be as endless as the cartridge upgrades possibilities you mention. It would certainly seem that mass production coupled with excellent Japanese engineering would explain why you have hit upon a bargain that could easily be improved upon without breaking the bank or into a sweat.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Steve,

Pass my telephone number on to Gav and ask him to give me a call. I can sort this out no problem and it will be much quicker than doing it here

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

One very good Technics tonearm to consider is the EPA501H. Not a mass produced arm, but a scarce high-end piece of kit that fetches £350 or more on eBay. I am close to selling one of mine as well since I can only play one...

Sensi,

When you get the 'urge' to sell it make sure and let me know

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sensi,

When you get the 'urge' to sell it make sure and let me know

Marco.
    PM me if you are serious. I am not looking for eBay type prices, since that includes the fleebay fees etc. I shall dig the camera out and take some pics for you in case you are not familiar with this master piece. Recently serviced by Thru as well.

I am very serious, as always

It will depend though if someone can fit it for me to my SL-1210, including wiring it with the Cardas tonearm cable and fitting the fluid damping trough currently attached to the existing Technics arm...

Maybe Thru or J7?

If I have to send it to KAB in the States to get done then it might be a no-goer, as I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping, etc.

Pop some pics up and we'll take it from there. If all my needs above are fulfilled, and the arm's in good nick, then you could have a deal.

Marco.
    Main System

Marco FYI
    The arm in question here with it's 'H' suffix is made for High compliance carts, so maybe not ideal for the 103pro.

Ah, now that puts a whole different perspective on things...

I was actually going to ask Sensi that question, as looking at the picture of one on the Web it looked a bit 'lightweight' in terms of mass.

Cheers, Nick

Marco.
    Main System

Just wanted to say thank you to Marco, for all the help and advice over the past few weeks, I am very happy with the cartrdige and am enjoying listening to my records like I hav never heard them before :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast