Closed Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BMU Safety issues

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    BMUs: Would somebody please post a schematic for these showing earthing arrangements? Thanks.
    Here's the scribbled circuit I drew when I built mine-

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    I think there needs to be clarification.
    A BMU is an NVA balanced mains product only. As they are glued down perspex cases a schematic is not possible unless the designer obliges.
    Other balanced power supplies or BPS others use such as myself and slightly different. However the basic idea of a toroidial with 120v on the live and 120v on the neutral is the same.
    no its not. Russ Andrews makes them.

http://www.russandrews.com/product-B...-Unit-1194.htm
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Photo was a bit small, this should be more ledgible-

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Also some comment here when I took it over to Gary's-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...together/page3

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    no its not. Russ Andrews makes them.

http://www.russandrews.com/product-B...-Unit-1194.htm
    Yes mate RA and others make BPS, they are dead easy to make. The point I was trying to get across is that this thread is about BMU which is an NVA product only, although it will be almost the same as what I have made which is just a balance toroidial and nothing else. However JohnJo was asking for the schematics of a BMU, this is not possible unless NVS oblige.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Richard.

I think there needs to be clarification.
    A BMU is an NVA balanced mains unit and is an NVA product only. As they are glued down perspex cases a schematic is not possible unless the designer obliges.
    Other balanced power supplies or BPS others use such as I use myself are slightly different. However the basic idea of a toroidial with 120v on the live and 120v on the neutral is the same.
    If that is the case, and BMU is a trademark of NVA and not a generic term for balanced power supplies then the thread is mis-named and I apologise for the sloppy terminology. The intention is that this thread is generic about using a balanced mains supply from a "boxed solution" transformer, and NOT about any specific manufacturers product. It really should have been called "BPS" for "Balanced Power Supply" and I apologise that in the excitement of moving it from its previous (wrong) thread I was careless in my terminology.

Since manufacturers have now been named, which I was trying to avoid, the "BMU made by a reputable manufacturer" I referred to should have been a "BPS ..." and the manufacturer in question is Airlink

This is a link to the product I was considering buying http://www.airlinktransformers.com/b...upply/CBS2000/

This is a link to the FAQ's I referred to http://www.airlinktransformers.com/t...r_supply_faqs/

Apologies for any confusion. This is not about NVA. Its about how this solution to mains treatment works and its implications for use in domestic environments with normal equipment

I'm Grant.

it is called. BMU by Russ Andrews!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    it is called. BMU by Russ Andrews!
    OK, fair enough, my mistake. There was a thread a while again on Hifisub forum asking members to name this product , and BMU is what they came up with....what a coinsidence
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Richard.

Yes mate RA and others make BPS, they are dead easy to make. The point I was trying to get across is that this thread is about BMU which is an NVA product only, although it will be almost the same as what I have made which is just a balance toroidial and nothing else. However JohnJo was asking for the schematics of a BMU, this is not possible unless NVS oblige.
    You'll gather I am catching up with these sequentially. Russ Andrews clearly call their BPS a BMU (Balanced Mains Unit) and therefore the term is NOT referring to an NVA device. Accordingly I interpret the request for a schematic to be generic to Balanced Power Supplies and the one supplied meets the need.

You may well be right about the NVA device having some secret design element that differentiates it, but I doubt that is relevant to this discussion (if indeed it exists). As I noted elsewhere, unless it is protected by patent, it is open to anyone who wants to take the lid off. But that is not relevant. This is about balanced power supplies and not NVA

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Here's the scribbled circuit I drew when I built mine-

Thanks Ali. I think there was some confusion (certainly in my head) reading other posts as some of these power supplies seem to be designed for double insulated only equipment and are a pure isolating (from earth) transformer albeit with +115/-115 balanced output and do not have the centre tapping on the secondary tied to earth and connected to the outlet sockets which is different from yours. Might build one of these myself as all my equipment is double insulated. In this type any type of RCD on the secondary would be pointless.

I don't think there is any need further protective devices (MCB or fuses) on the secondary side as there are the fuses in the 13A plugs supplying the equipment and in the back of the equipment itself and any faults in the transformer secondary winding/wiring would be seen and interrupted by the mains supply fuse on the primary, I think

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast