+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: LS3/5a

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    There's cranky and downright rude James.
    +1

But what do you really expect from someone that says "I don't give a flying f**k" in their signature ?
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    +1

But what do you really expect from someone that says "I don't give a flying f**k" in their signature ?

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I have a current issue with AS and it came to a head recently. I don't believe ANY two amps measure the same - hell, no two Naims (or any amp sharing the same amp boards) measure quite the same despite using the same amp circuit board, due to power supply changes.

Certainly, the speakers are the weakest link in the chain, coupled with most of our listening rooms and these two factors alone can make or break any audio setup in my opinion. To dismiss sources and amps as religiously as AS does and to challenge my expertise in matching the gear I sold at the time as deluded rankles somewhat, as I KNOW that domestic amps and sources can affect the sound of the speakers being played in both subtle and obvious ways as 'we' all know...
    I find that my P3ESRs sound much the same if driven by a Quad 34/303 or an Arcam Alpha 3.

With a very old pair of speakers I restored ( Radford BSLs ) the Quad drives them and so does the Arcam.
    This time, though, the Quad definitely sounds the better match.
    I cannot explain it fully. The Quad was designed in the days when many ( most ? ) speakers were 15 ohms impedance. It isn't just that, surely ?
    I'm sure there are those on this Forum who can give more information on amp./loudspeaker matching...

M Miles.

I'm Deleted.

Default FS: LS3/5a

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Also, I think AS is totally correct when he says stands and amps don't matter,.
    I don't, in fact I think he is entirely wrong. I've directly (level matched) compared many amps with the same source and speakers, differences were obvious and repeatable - the same for speaker stands. The difference between light open frame and heavy pilar designs is equally easy to hear as is the use of spikes to couple the speaker to the stand or blobs of Blutack.

I also don't agree with this whole 'the speakers are the weakest link followed by the room' mantra that seems to be in fashion on the forums at present. I say the above as someone who actually uses both passive and active room correction. Of course room correction makes a big difference (or can do if done right - it can make the sound truly appalling if done badly) but it can't reinvent information lost in the reproduction chain. The speakers being the most important component concept is most usually claimed by speaker manufacturers - no surprise there - or those who struggle to differentiate between qualitative and quantitative differences.

Regarding Shane's rudeness - I note that one of his more ironic recent posts stated that he didn't suffer fools lightly - you've gotta laugh .

Dave, now that you and AS have fallen out does this mean you will be wiring his crossovers in the new year?
    Last edited by YNWaN; 16-12-2014 at 07:53.
    Account Deleted

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    I find that my P3ESRs sound much the same if driven by a Quad 34/303 or an Arcam Alpha 3.

With a very old pair of speakers I restored ( Radford BSLs ) the Quad drives them and so does the Arcam.
    This time, though, the Quad definitely sounds the better match.
    I cannot explain it fully. The Quad was designed in the days when many ( most ? ) speakers were 15 ohms impedance. It isn't just that, surely ?
    I'm sure there are those on this Forum who can give more information on amp./loudspeaker matching...

M Miles.
    I've just received my Quad 34 pre & 306 power amp and the P3s sound fantastic with this amp combo, certainly as good as, if not better than, they sounded with the XTZ integrated amp that I was using with them last month.

With the modern Denon integrated amp that I have, which currently in the classifieds, the Harbeths sound brilliant but the sound is flat and upfront with a pretty linear sound stage which runs across the room, one could say the sound is 'harsh' or bright I suppose but the Denon sounds nothing like the Quads or the XTZ amp.

The point is though that the P3s sound great with any of these amps IMO.

Tony

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I don't, in fact I think he is entirely wrong. I've directly (level matched) compared many amps with the same source and speakers, differences were obvious and repeatable - the same for speaker stands. The difference between light open frame and heavy pilar designs is equally easy to hear as is the use of spikes to couple the speaker to the stand or blobs of Blutack.

I also don't agree with this whole 'the speakers are the weakest link followed by the room' mantra that seems to be in fashion on the forums at present. I say the above as someone who actually uses both passive and active room correction. Of course room correction makes a big difference (or can do if done right - it can make the sound truly appalling if done badly) but it can't reinvent information lost in the reproduction chain. The speakers being the most important component concept is most usually claimed by speaker manufacturers - no surprise there - or those who struggle to differentiate between qualitative and quantitative differences.

Dave, now that you and AS have fallen out does this mean you will be wiring his crossovers in the new year?
    I don't fall out with people, I just leave them alone until I don't care any more. No need for a sarcastic joke either, survival is a serious business, especially when you have a large teenage mouth to feed! By the way, if you're so utterly confident, you could 'win' a pair of Harbeth 40.1's and be a few grand better off if you subsequently sold them on..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm aware of the financial issues you have and, as you say, bills must be paid.

With regard to Harbeth, I'm aware of their ridiculous marketing offer. Unfortunately I don't want a pair of their speakers or want to promote their business whilst attempting to jump through the various hoops they have set up to pass their 'test'.
    Account Deleted

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    I've decided to move these on. Too many speakers lying around! Plus, soon I'm going to be after a Supernait 2.

These particular LS3/5a's once belonged to Martyn Miles.

The best signature from these LS3/5a is their midrange. Simply rich and seductive!

There is some slight cosmetic flaws on the top and bottom, but noting too serious. Please look at the pics!

If the buyer is in no rush, I'm willing to post these LS3/5a anywhere in the UK for an extra £15. Finding some suitable boxes will take some time though!

Personally I'd prefer collection from my house in Torquay.

£580 collected or £595 posted. I only accept cash or BT for payment.

UK sale only.

PM if wanted.

S.

A little more info. on these. I purchased new, unused T27s. which were mint. The B110s were purchased from someone who could measure drive units responses, etc. Not from eBay. ( It can be dodgy buying from there...) Jerry Bloomfield of Falcon Acoustics supplied the new FL6/23 crossovers as used in the new Falcon LS3/5as just released onto the market.
    The cabinets are ex. Harbeth HL-P3 ones, exactly the same as Harbeth used for their own LS3/5a. Later P3 cabinets were MDF. They were restored by a friend who is a restorer of musical instruments. The front baffle and hardware was from Stirling Broadcast, the tweeter grilles from Falcon. The Tygan front grilles from Sid Chaplin. Info can be found on his company, Traditional Radio Grilles, on the 'Unofficial LS3/5a Support Site .' The requisite cabinet foam was the correct spec.
    No cost-cutting was taken during construction, every step carefully made with advice from Jerry where I needed it.
    All who heard them were taken by them. I only sold as I now have a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs.

Correct Kef SP1003s, NOS Kef T27s. Falcon Acoustics FL6/23 crossovers, Serial Numbers 26 A & B, built to match the drive units.
    (Martyn Miles)

I have bought them back.

I sold them to finance something else, and quickly regretted it. I was offered them by the buyer, but he sold them to Shane.
    I was later in a position to afford them, so I made an offer.

As I spent a very long time building them, with advice from Falcon Acoustics and Stirling Broadcast, they became very personal.
    I think Forum members will understand...

M Miles.

I'm andy.

Good for you Martyn, the pull is strong when you know something is good,especially so when you've built them yourself,
    i hankered over these as i feel they might be something special but i just don't need another pair of speakers.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by wiicrackpot View Post
    Good for you Martyn, the pull is strong when you know something is good,especially so when you've built them yourself,
    i hankered over these as i feel they might be something special but i just don't need another pair of speakers.
    Knowing Martyn built them Andy I was sorely tempted myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast