+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the rarest item in your system?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default What is the rarest item in your system?

What is the rarest item in your system?

We have already been asked what is the oldest item in your audio system and what is the heaviest?

Well now, what is the rarest item in your system?

For me it is my Breuer Dynamic Type 5A pickup arm. Hand made by the late Herr Breuer in Lausanne, Switzerland it was imported in small quantities by Linn Products to replace the Grace 707 arm that partnered the Linn LP12 turntable.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-5A-pickup-arm

The Breuer Type 5 arm was later replaced by the even rarer Type 8; does anyone have one of those?

The second and third reasonably rare items I have (but do not use) are the Quad AM1 and AM3 tuner.

Only 2500 and 2000 units respectively of these were sold.

I have a Quad 520f professional amplifier fitted with Neutrik Speakon connectors of which only 3000 were sold, so is reasonably rare. Though not as rare as the single channel 510 similarly fitted with Neutriks, of which only 600 were sold.

One other item that is a little unusual, but probably not particularly rare, is an ‘American’ SME S2 perforated headshell with a raised logo. Usually the logo is “SME”, but since Shure and SME distributed one another’s products in their respective countries, SME arms made for export to the US had “Shure SME” as the logo. However rarer still would be the S2 headshell SME made available to Radford for use with the B&O SP6/7 that Radford imported and distributed at the time. The headshell had a silver finish, rather than black, and had “Radford” written on the raised nameplate.

So what rare and/or odd items do you have out there? Does anyone use the original Naim 200 poweramps? Or possess the rare Quad 240 poweramp, of which only 180 were made.

How about the Quad 50 monoblock amp (not the 50D or 50E) or even the Quad 40!

Come on now – ‘fess up.
    Last edited by Barry; 08-11-2014 at 01:15. Reason: correction
    Barry

I'm Grant.

I guess it is my Aikido clone pre. It is one of a kind to my knowledge, and darned good. Built by Tubehunter, who is top notch.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

This:

My Raphaelite 6V6 amp, MingDa MC-9 pre-amp and ADC 10E Mk.II cartridge are not exactly common either.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    This:

My Raphaelite 6V6 amp, MingDa MC-9 pre-amp and ADC 10E Mk.II cartridge are not exactly common either.
    how rare is the Osawa Geoff.....love its looks...
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    how rare is the Osawa Geoff.....love its looks...
    I bought one of two held by the guy who as far as I know, had the only stock in the UK. Mine may be the only one left. Who knows.

It's superb by the way, the best SUT I've come across. That's why I still have it after approx 35 years.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kevin.

My FX1200+ tone arm.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

Hope you are leaving it to me in your will

only joking. ...I love it when someone gets something he will never sell...
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Hope you are leaving it to me in your will ...
    You should be so lucky. It will go in the AOS Hi-Fi museum!

I'm Alan.

Think the rarest item I have is my Rogers T100 tuner
    IMG_1791 by 337alant, on Flickr

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You should be so lucky. It will go in the AOS Hi-Fi museum!
    Great!

I'm the curator BTW..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast