+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croft MC head amp - Eureka!

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Glenn told me he couldn't source truly non-microphonic quiet valves anymore which was the amps Achilles heel - the Teslas sound mighty fine - there is no background noise at normal listening volume - I also have a pair of cryo SQ 6922's that are even quieter but don't sound quite as nice. Glenn suggested that 7308's would be the quietest - pretty rare but Lorenz Tang at WiWi tubes has some - not cheap at $190 for a matched pair
    Try Telefunken from Upscale Audio http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-e88cc-6922/
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Try Telefunken from Upscale Audio http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-e88cc-6922/
    Very nice.

I've just bought a pair of NOS Philips Miniwatt SQ E88cc's and I'm thinking about Siemens CCa's
    Last edited by worrasf; 02-11-2014 at 10:29.
    Always a little further

I'm Andrei.

Very nice.

I've just bought a pair of NOS Philips Miniwatt SQ E88cc's and I'm thinking about Siemens CCa's
    Let us know how you get on. My phono stage does not have a single transistor and comes with a complement of valves as follows
    2x 6DJ8/ ECC88 or 6922/ E88CC, 7308
    2x 12AX7/ ECC83 or 7025, 5751
    2x 12AT7/ ECC81
    1x 6X4 rectifier

Tube rolling is possible with the caveat that the E88CCs in particular must be quiet.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Let us know how you get on.
    The Philips Miniwatt SQ E88cc's sound gorgeous. I read several reviews about them especially here https://www.tubeworld.com/6922.htm and I have to say I agree with the descriptions - especially reagrding the "sweet, liquid" quality - sounded daft until I heard them. Really really nice. Also quiet.

I am awaiting delivery of a pair of NOS NiB Seimens CCa's which I am expecting to sound different again with likely more "air" and top end clarity but perhaps less bass definition
    Will report back

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

I've now had chance to install and listen to the Siemens CCa's - the reports are not hype - these are truly stunning - detailed, open and dynamic with taut detailed bass and phenomenal vocals
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    A man of your call-eye-ber Steve should be able to afford all manner of valves for this. How much did the basic unit cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
    Hi David
    So the NoS Siemens CCa's were an upper and lower limb but are a phenomenon - I've put the Philips Miniwatt SQ e88cc's in the SOHA headphone amp - brilliant
    Always a little further

I'm Andrei.

I've now had chance to install and listen to the Siemens CCa's - the reports are not hype - these are truly stunning - detailed, open and dynamic with taut detailed bass and phenomenal vocals
    Oh dear, looks like I may have to get my (thin) wallet out. How do they go for running in? and warm-up time?

I'm Stephen.

Sounded very good immediately - after just a couple of hours they just opened up - they sound totally flat across the audio frequency range with no emphasis in any area - superb detail and clarity. The Philips Miniwatts initially sounded more beguiling but after a while you accept they are adding some coloration - I guess it depends as always on what you like the Miniwatts are superb with a liquid lush midrange but the CCa's sound totally faithful if that makes sense?
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12