+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground loop

I'm Nuno.

Default Ground loop

I think I have a ground loop in my system(only stereo,no AV or TV nearby).Do you know anything I can do (DIY) to fix it?Buying a filter,for example or something else...
    BTW,my amp is allways on,so I donīt have huummm issues anymore,it just happened when I turn on the amp

Quote Originally Posted by nbaptista View Post
    I think I have a ground loop in my system(only stereo,no AV or TV nearby).Do you know anything I can do (DIY) to fix it?Buying a filter,for example or something else...
    BTW,my amp is allways on,so I donīt have huummm issues anymore,it just happened when I turn on the amp
    I would try and help you but your post makes no sense.

1 do you know what a ground loop is

2 why do you think you have one

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

1 do you know what a ground loop is

2 why do you think you have one
    1 )well , Iīve read a few postīs and Internet
    2) when I turn on the amplifier,only sometimes,it appears an huummm trough the speakers during 3 or 4 minutes and after a while,the huuummm disappears!

I'm InSpace.

Doesn't sound like a ground loop then, they tend to be there all the time (or at least when the offending equipment(s) are switched on) and don't just go away when your amp warms up.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by nbaptista View Post
    1 )well , Iīve read a few postīs and Internet
    2) when I turn on the amplifier,only sometimes,it appears an huummm trough the speakers during 3 or 4 minutes and after a while,the huuummm disappears!
    You have a power supply capacitor breaking down, it needs replacing, see service engineer.

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You have a power supply capacitor breaking down, it needs replacing, see service engineer.
    Iīve called my dealer a time ago and he said to me that probably was a loop earth.What I did next was to disconnect all the other components of my system from the amplifier.So I did a test with only the amplifier connected to the speakers,and then I switch of and on the amplifier again and again and nothing happened.The hhuuummmm was gone!So,what do you think it can be?If were a power supply capacitor breaking down,the huummm still appears,with amp connected to the speakers,no?
    BTW,my CD player is a Naim CD 5 with Din,not RCA

I am not as knowledgable as Richard, so apologies if I have this wrong.
    The faulty capacitor is taking a while to charge up after switch on, therefore is initially failing to properly smooth the D.C. (the hum originates in the A.C. mains). This causes the initial hum. When the capacitor charges up the hum disapears. When the amp is switched off and back on, the capacitor does not have time to discharge so the hum does not reappear.
    If the hum had been due to an earth loop it would have remained constant and not disappeared.
    Last edited by Prince of Darkness; 22-03-2008 at 20:39.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Darkness View Post
    I am not as knowledgable as Richard, so apologies if I have this wrong.
    The faulty capacitor is taking a while to charge up after switch on, therefore is initially failing to properly smooth the D.C. (the hum originates in the A.C. mains). This causes the initial hum.
    But why the huummm does not appear when the amp is only connected to the speakers?

Is this perhaps a power supply fault in one of the source components?
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Darkness View Post
    Is this perhaps a power supply fault in one of the source components?
    Like in the cd player,for example?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast