+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZYX R50 or London Mecca maroon

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, that's another thing, what's with the Yatra and Fuji models?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by loo View Post
    Hi Ali, without making comparison to the ZYX,have you seen the VDH frog gold for sale on the wam, if your in the market for a top flight MC
    it could be worth consideration they are one hell of a cartridge
    cheers
    Paul
    Cheers for the heads up Paul, but not looking just yet, just shelled out for a holiday, and a new car a couple of months ago, the pocketses are bare!
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Cheers for the heads up Paul, but not looking just yet, just shelled out for a holiday, and a new car a couple of months ago, the pocketses are bare!
    yep I know that situation well, for a much cheaper option why not send your maroon to John Wright http://www.london-cartridges.co.uk/ his rebuild prices are real value and he will return it like new
    cheers
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Aye, that's another thing, what's with the Yatra and Fuji models?
    http://www.zyx-audio.com/products_mc_4d_series_4d.html

http://www.sorasound.com/products/zyx/
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by loo View Post
    yep I know that situation well, for a much cheaper option why not send your maroon to John Wright http://www.london-cartridges.co.uk/ his rebuild prices are real value and he will return it like new
    cheers
    Paul
    Cheers, yes have been in touch with John, it's on the to do list.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers, hadn't come across those as yet.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

There's a bit on the Fuji here too: http://www.referencefidelitycomponen...zyx-r100-fuji/

Basically, the Fuji is the the top of the line R100 model, with refined wiring design, Boron cantilever and fine line contact stylus.

As Geoff says, ZYX cartridges are unusual in that there's not really a defined pecking order as such, because the designs are all slightly different. What they all share is a top notch generator design, very fine wiring and top drawer stylii. Of course the top end price-wose models are quite extraordinary (The Airy 3 remains my all time favourite MC hifi cartridge) but even the R50 will allow buy-in to their extraordinary musical and satisfying sound.

I also agree with Geoff that the R50 is an outstanding bargain in high end cartridge terms (it performs as well as many at four times the cost) and it has a lovely airy soundstage with a full bodies presentation and solid bass. It isn't analytical like some.

I'm Stephen.

Thumbs up My 2p worth

I echo pretty much everything Geoff says.

I have a Decca Blue/Deccapod and a Zyx R100 H. The Blue is pretty much the same as the maroon but has a spherical rather than an eliptical stylus. That said it is the best tracking cartridge I have ever owned - tracks all 4 test bands on the HfN disc with ease. The Deccapod IMO is a must and refines the presentation significantly. Both carts need mass in/on the headshell to work properly (the Deccapod) adds this. I found the Zyx needs an additional weight unless you have the type that comes with a metal base plate. I found the 3g VPI from Analogue Seduction (http://www.analogueseduction.net/hea...ll-weight.html) in a Oyaide HS TF headshell works just fine. The Schick graphite http://calamightysound.blogspot.co.u...dshell-is.html is a great partner for the Decca. IMO both these carts need to be considered with the headshell they are going to be mounted in. Of curse with the Zyx you also need to carefully consider what SUT you are going to use if your amp doesn't have a MC input. With the Decca careful attention to earth/ground is vital to minimise hum.

The Decca is supremely fast and detailed - I could happily live with it if it was the only cart I ever owned. Unlike Geoff I am not minded to move mine on.
    The Zyx to my ears has many of the same qualities as the Decca but has a fuller more "musical" presentation. TBH at times I have found myself asking is the Zyx adding colouration where the Decca is just telling it like it is? Not sure really. Overall, I do prefer the sound from the Zyx on the majority of recordings I have.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

Just a note for anybody considering a ZYX.

I'd suggest the 'H' version of each cartridge. The H stands for high output, but that is in relation to the lower output variants of each cartridge model. The H is still a low output MC and will probably be the best option to match to regular MC inputs, phono stages and SUTs.

The low output versions are I believe, supposed to have an edge soundwise, but I doubt there'd be much in it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I echo pretty much everything Geoff says.

I have a Decca Blue/Deccapod and a Zyx R100 H. The Blue is pretty much the same as the maroon but has a spherical rather than an eliptical stylus. That said it is the best tracking cartridge I have ever owned - tracks all 4 test bands on the HfN disc with ease. The Deccapod IMO is a must and refines the presentation significantly. Both carts need mass in/on the headshell to work properly (the Deccapod) adds this. I found the Zyx needs an additional weight unless you have the type that comes with a metal base plate. I found the 3g VPI from Analogue Seduction (http://www.analogueseduction.net/hea...ll-weight.html) in a Oyaide HS TF headshell works just fine. The Schick graphite http://calamightysound.blogspot.co.u...dshell-is.html is a great partner for the Decca. IMO both these carts need to be considered with the headshell they are going to be mounted in. Of curse with the Zyx you also need to carefully consider what SUT you are going to use if your amp doesn't have a MC input. With the Decca careful attention to earth/ground is vital to minimise hum.

The Decca is supremely fast and detailed - I could happily live with it if it was the only cart I ever owned. Unlike Geoff I am not minded to move mine on.
    The Zyx to my ears has many of the same qualities as the Decca but has a fuller more "musical" presentation. TBH at times I have found myself asking is the Zyx adding colouration where the Decca is just telling it like it is? Not sure really. Overall, I do prefer the sound from the Zyx on the majority of recordings I have.

Steve
    The Decca Maroon has a spherical tipped stylus. The Maroon was essentially the same as the Blue but was made on a separate production line to a far higher build standard. The Decca Grey (or Export) cartidges were selected Blues that had a better measured performance.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast