+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZYX R50 or London Mecca maroon

I'm Nick.

Default ZYX R50 or London Mecca maroon

Thinking of upgrading from my Benz Micro Silver, any thoughts on these two cartridges? TT is Sony PS X70. Thanks.

I'm Geoff.

Having owned both until recently. I can point out that the Decca Maroon is no longer with me and the ZYX R50 Bloom H is here to stay (and so are the R100 and R100 H2 I've since bought). The R50 is superb.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How did you find the Maroon Geoff?

Got one, but it's down in one channel.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    How did you find the Maroon Geoff?

Got one, but it's down in one channel.
    Like all Deccas. Good fun and different to anything else. My favourite was my 4RC, it seemed to have even more vibrance than the Mk.IV (always wanted a C4E).

I'd not go back to a Decca now, the ZYX R100 H2 in particular has the speed and detail of a Decca, but is cleaner at the top and has an even bigger soundstage. The R50 is different and possibly even more expansive. It has an almost holographic midrange and depth to it. Wonderful at any price and amazing for the money.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, been eying those up too..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How would you rate the ZYX's you have?

Worth paying more to go up the range?

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

They are very different Ali.

The R50 is a big sounding MC rather in the Koetsu and SPU manner (but not the same). It has wonderful depth and a massive soundstage. The top is smooth and pleasing.

The R100 digs deeper and pushes more detail at you (without being bright). It has great treble, solid bass and amazing transparency.

And the R100 H2 is again different. The stylus is a lighter and tiny boron tube and the sound is almost forensically detailed. The analyisis exceeds anything I've heard from a Decca. Heard through the Tannoys the image depth and sheer amount of information coming through is remarkable.

I seriously don't have a favourite. Each ZYX has its own benefits, even the R50 at about half the cost of the others is a joy to hear and probably the easiest to slot into a system and live with.

Check the online reviews. You won't find a bad one.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have been. Struggling to get a coherent picture of the entire range TBH. I also note silver coils are an option?

What's the difference between the 100 and the 100 H2?

Hunter S Thompson

I'm paul.

Hi Ali, without making comparison to the ZYX,have you seen the VDH frog gold for sale on the wam, if your in the market for a top flight MC
    it could be worth consideration they are one hell of a cartridge
    cheers
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    What's the difference between the 100 and the 100 H2?
    The R100 has an Aluminium cantilever and the R100 H2 a much smaller and thinner Boron job.

The three ZYXs I own are the only ones I've used. There are quite a few other models. Next stop for me is possibly an R100 Yatra H (not a Fuji).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast