+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTD: Daughter's first record deck

I'm Stephen.

Smile WTD: Daughter's first record deck

So at the age of 25 and after listening to music only via iPod/phone/laptop my daughter has asked for a "record player" for Christmas

Decided to build a pre-owned vinyl only system - looking for good quality separates but not the ultimate in HiFi

So I thought I'd start the ball rolling with the deck hence this post. Looking for a deck/arm/ mm cart in good/excellent condition. Not really fussed about make/model but none-suspended type would be more practical and probably needs 33/45 capability.

Looking to spend around £150 - £200 (max)

Anyone got anything they think might fit the bill?

Steve
    Always a little further

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Plenty of old Pro-jects out there - and the 'Stuff from Southend' has loads of cheap spares if you ever needed any
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Stephen.

Hi David
    Yes, got couple of projects on my eBay watch list - never heard one but understand that they are not to shabby
    Steve
    Always a little further

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Drive noise through the speakers is an issue with some of the cheaper new ones Debuts and so on. The old 1.5 and 2 were good, especially the latter. Rega's were rather better in certain areas (tonearms mainly) and a nice 1980's Planar 3 with RB300 and 2M Red or Goldring 10** series is still a very fine thing. Siting on both makes is absolutely critical though.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Hi Stephen,

I've got an old Ariston RD80 Transcription deck I was going to stick on ebay once I get a chance to give it a service (hasn't been used for a while) It's in good condition with a dark rosewood base and has the original Ariston arm but no cartridge.

Might be a bit fussy for your daughter's needs though. The suspension takes a bit of setting up initially and its a belt drive which involves platter removal and moving the belt from one pulley to another to change the speed. It is a very nice sounding deck tho'.

Steve
    By Day Dell Precision M650 laptop into a Rega DAC via a Beresford Asynch... Teac PD-H500 CD player
    Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp powering dMarKen7.3 mini onken's via TQ Black's (IAS Beaulieu speakers 'in reserve')
    By Night Sennheiser HD600's fed by a Lehmann Black Cube Linear headphone amp
    Out and about Fiio X5 music player/DAC and Ultimate Ears triple fi 10 pro iem's

I'm Stephen.

Hi Steve
    Thanks for that. Yes, love her as I do she's not really into setting up decks like the Ariston and unfortunately I'm not just around he corner.
    I think a fit and forget like the Rega or Project will be a safer bet.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    . The old 1.5 and 2 were good, especially the latter..
    Would that be the Project Essential 2 Dave?
    Always a little further

I'm John.

Stephen,

The RD80 is a nice deck….I had the RD60 and was impressed with it.
    Do you not think that once it was set up and your Daughter was accustomed to changing the belt position for speed changes, (which in reality probably won't be that often unless she's going to buy a load of 7" stuff) the RD80 will be far more satisfying to own.
    My RD60 only had a basic AT91N cartridge and sounded good.
    Sup to you though.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    Stephen,

The RD80 is a nice deck….I had the RD60 and was impressed with it.
    Do you not think that once it was set up and your Daughter was accustomed to changing the belt position for speed changes, (which in reality probably won't be that often unless she's going to buy a load of 7" stuff) the RD80 will be far more satisfying to own.
    My RD60 only had a basic AT91N cartridge and sounded good.
    Sup to you though.
    Hi John - It's a fine deck and no mistake. My concern is that Sophie spends 6 months of the year in UK on the farm and the other 6 months running a ski school in Verbier and I reckon if she had something like a Rega or Project she'd be able to take it with her (that would be the plan anyway).
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Grant.

Yes, the project deck are quite easy to pack away and set up again, so would be good for that. Don't have anything in that range but sure there will be plenty on the bay. Mike Greenwood is selling a rega on his Thorens thread ,.. would need an arm though.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast