+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30W Stasis Amplifier for 60 pounds

I'm Juha.

Default 30W Stasis Amplifier for 60 pounds

While trawling the German Ebay, I found (again) an offer I could not refuse.

This was the "Nakamichi Sr-2e Stereo Receiver" for 60 pounds.
    It is a real Nagamichi Stasis amplifier licensed by Nelson Pass and company.
    Some internet info claims that he actually designed the main amp on this Nagamichi SR series.
    This is the smallest power amp in the series.

To do:
    -disconnect the radio receiver
    -bypass tone controls

Who knows this could be a nice headphones amp.
    Analogue: Thorens TD 160 Super, Micro Seiki CF1 arm, Toshiba SR-370, Micro Seiki MA-505 arm, Nagaoka MP-50, Ortofon S 15-TE
    Source: JRiver 20, RME 9632 sound card, cd Micromega Drive 1, Hegel HD2 dac, Asus Xonar STX
    Pre-amp: Quad 33, Audiolabor VV2020
    Amps: Quad 522, Quad 405, Nakamichi Amplifier 1, CEC Amp 3300
    Speakers: Kef 104/2, ESS Amt 1 Monitor, Magneplanar 2.5/RT, Yamaha NS1000M - Active Genelec, cable Mogami 2513 "Blue Rocket"

I'm Juha.

Here is a picture from internet.

Does not look like much, but has the "Stasis" magic word on the tin.

Analogue: Thorens TD 160 Super, Micro Seiki CF1 arm, Toshiba SR-370, Micro Seiki MA-505 arm, Nagaoka MP-50, Ortofon S 15-TE
    Source: JRiver 20, RME 9632 sound card, cd Micromega Drive 1, Hegel HD2 dac, Asus Xonar STX
    Speakers: Kef 104/2, ESS Amt 1 Monitor, Magneplanar 2.5/RT, Yamaha NS1000M - Active Genelec, cable Mogami 2513 "Blue Rocket"

I'm Alan.

Isn't that a switch I can see on the front panel to defeat the tone controls?

What is the wording to the right of STASIS? Inherently stable/uniform impedance amplifier?
    Any idea what the supposed benefits are?

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Juha.

Here is quote from Nelson Pass (from diyaudio.com)

"Nakamichi licensed the patent and trade name. The
    product they produced was compliant with the Stasis
    design, but obviously rendered with Japanese parts
    and construction."

I dont know the technical details. I just know Stasis has mythical status.
    Bought this just on the premise that "Nelson Pass is the god of audio amplification".
    At least it seems this way reading various hifi forums.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Never heard a bad Pass amp.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Interesting item. I knew Nelson had designs from Nakamichi associated with his name, but wasn't sure what they were. That amp is worth £60 for its rarity. Who knows? It may sound very good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread