+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: New Films you want to See at the CINEMA....

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I don't really do 'deep and meaningful'...
    Haha, I know - although I seem to remember you liked You Were Never Really Here? In which case I think you should go see Joker, as it's not what you might expect and still IMO the best on at the moment. Joaquin Phoenix produces an immense performance, possibly his best and for sure he'll be nominated for it. I can't see you wouldn't like it, especially if you liked YWNRH, as they have similar performances and messages, although from different points of the spectrum.

Mark Kermode summed it up very well "I think Doctor Sleep is pretty good, I went in thinking it would be pretty bad, because it's a sequel to The Shining" followed later by . . . "If you're a Kubrick fan you may well really take against it, but if you're a fan of Stephen King, I think you will feel much more sympathetic towards it" A very astute observation that fits me to a tee, as I didn't enjoy either of the 'IT' films.

Guess you're lucky enjoying both then old bean

I really wanted to like it and went in with very high expectations, which is never a good thing. Funnily enough there was a lady sat near me for the advanced filming of Le Mans and we were talking about Dr Sleep. She said she really liked it, but didn't like The Shining at all, which did surprise me.

As an aside, I had some time to kill and went to see The Aeronauts, which I wasn't going to bother about as the trailers looked naff. I really enjoyed it, so much so I may even go a second time, Felicity Jones was really good and it's an interesting story. So often the trailers can do films an injustice, the ones that look great often disappoint and the ones that look naff can be hidden gems!
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Therefore that's why with films, I enjoy some light 'disposable froth', which preferably is over and done with in less than 2 hours, especially in a cinema, as any longer than that and I get twitchy!

Marco.
    I went to see A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon last week, great fun and all done and dusted in 87 minutes

I'm different though as I see pretty much everything that's on, plus all the art house stuff and foreign films. I love that I can and have the time to do it, as I get surprised and delighted more times than I get disappointed. Saw over 200 films last year, which is probably a lot!

EDIT: Correction to the above . . . I never go and see any Christmas films.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Haha, I know - although I seem to remember you liked You Were Never Really Here? In which case I think you should go see Joker, as it's not what you might expect and still IMO the best on at the moment. Joaquin Phoenix produces an immense performance, possibly his best and for sure he'll be nominated for it. I can't see you wouldn't like it, especially if you liked YWNRH, as they have similar performances and messages, although from different points of the spectrum.
    I liked YWNRH because of it's 'dark' theme and violence, and the eerie atmosphere it created, plus I like 'hit man/revenge' type films. Not sure Joker fits that category, unless I've got it wrong? No doubting JP's performance in the role, though. Sounds like one to investigate when it's available on Sky or Virgin movies, as it pisses me off going to see a film in the cinema and then hating it, as unlike at home, I can't turn it off, and it's a waste of a night out!

Mark Kermode summed it up very well "I think Doctor Sleep is pretty good, I went in thinking it would be pretty bad, because it's a sequel to The Shining" followed later by . . . "If you're a Kubrick fan you may well really take against it, but if you're a fan of Stephen King, I think you will feel much more sympathetic towards it" A very astute observation that fits me to a tee, as I didn't enjoy either of the 'IT' films.
    I would agree with MK's summary. However, you see I'm not a 'fan' of any particular film director; I just like certain films when they hit the spot, so I wasn't watching Dr Sleep through the eyes of a Kubrick fan, simply as a film that there and then I'd either enjoy or not - and I did, immensely! Now in terms of Stephen King, I like some of his films, but not particularly 'IT'.

I loved Misery, Christine, Children of the Corn, Sleepwalkers, The Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, etc. Not all of his stuff is my thing. Movies, like music, either 'connect' with you in some way, or they don't. It's as simple as that really.

I really wanted to like it and went in with very high expectations, which is never a good thing. Funnily enough there was a lady sat near me for the advanced filming of Le Mans and we were talking about Dr Sleep. She said she really liked it, but didn't like The Shining at all, which did surprise me.
    That would've surprised me too, and yes I still rate The Shining quite a bit above Dr Sleep, but it's a different type of film, and so has to be judged in its own right.

They don't (or very rarely) make films like The Shining anymore - stuff that gets right inside your head and freaks you out, when it successfully taps into your innermost fears, or tickles your pleasure zones [not in that way]. In terms of horror films, the genre created from the 70s-early 90s [in my view the golden era] is totally different from what's produced now, so in that respect I wasn't expecting Dr Sleep to be any different.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I went to see A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon last week, great fun and all done and dusted in 87 minutes

I'm different though as I see pretty much everything that's on, plus all the art house stuff and foreign films. I love that I can and have the time to do it, as I get surprised and delighted more times than I get disappointed. Saw over 200 films last year, which is probably a lot!

EDIT: Correction to the above . . . I never go and see any Christmas films.
    Bloody hell, that's a LOT of films!

Clearly, you're a big film buff, much more than me, as I couldn't sit through all of those, no matter how much I enjoyed them. I love going to the cinema and seeing stuff that I like for the first time, but TBH, I prefer being at home in comfort, relaxing by the log fire with Del, and a nice bottle of vino, watching a good movie on the home-cinema system, and which makes movies look and sound just as good (if not in some ways better) than most cinemas, unless you 'get off' on truly huge screens!

Plus, I'd rather spend the money on holidays abroad, eating out, buying wine, and/or going to music gigs, than sitting in cinemas, but each to their own. Btw, I do enjoy some 'arthouse' films, *if* they tick the right boxes. In that respect, I quite often enjoy French films, especially psychological thrillers, bleak dramas/black comedies, etc, as in my experience the French do 'dark' and disturbing themes rather well!

And 'dark' is essentially my bag, especially if it's a total 'head-fuck'....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

And 'dark' is essentially my bag, especially if it's a total 'head-fuck'....
    That's what I thought, so Joker should be yer thang, it ticks all the Marco crazy boxes

I'm Ben.

Any interest in the Irishman? It will be on Netflix a few weeks later but I'm going to make the effort to see it on the big screen. I mean that cast alone eh.......

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Grant.

Yeah looking forward it seeing it, but will have to be Netflix alas
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ben.

That's what I thought, so Joker should be yer thang, it ticks all the Marco crazy boxes
    I have to say I thought the joker was crap. I just didn't get it at all and can't see they hype it's been getting. I guess I was looking to be entertained and it's really not that sort of film.

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yeah looking forward it seeing it, but will have to be Netflix alas
    3 hour running time prob makes it more suitable to home viewing if I'm being honest

Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Grant.

Yeah you need to have stamina for a long film in a cinema seat
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast