+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: New Films you want to See at the CINEMA....

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I have to completely take back my evaluation of 'Doctor Sleep', as I went to see it again today and really enjoyed it second time around.

I think as mentioned previously, I had unfulfillable expectations the first time, but this time went it just to enjoy it as a film and not compare it. I also can't believe how much I missed, I must have totally switched off as I got a few surprises and thought 'well I didn't notice that before'

It's still not 'The Shining' but I doesn't set out to be. I'd say it's a Stephen King film, whereas - 'The Shining' is totally a Stanley Kubrick film.

I also thought the time flew by, whereas first time it really dragged. Funny old world, but it often happens, as I do go back to see films twice if they didn't work first time and I think they should have. Doesn't always pay off, but today it did.

Really looking forward to this too, out at the end of the month I think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_(film)

I will be going to see it.
    Regards Neil

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    I will be going to see it.
    It's out Friday Neil, as is La Belle Époque Marco, which looks very interesting, I'll be seeing that as well, right up my street. I'm not averse to any genre of film if it's good, so don't mind a rom/com or love story

Saw a featurette for 1917 yesterday, the new Sam Mendes film. It's a one shot movie, as in giving the impression it's a single continuous take with the camera never leaving the central characters. It looks incredible, only seen one other single shot movie Russian Ark, which unlike 1917 was apparently one continuous take from start to finish for the entire film.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Grant.

the hitchcock film the rope was done that way.. well up to a point, as film cameras are limited to the amount of film they carry. it can be difficult to get right imo, and become stressful and then tedious if not done right.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It's out Friday Neil, as is La Belle Époque Marco, which looks very interesting, I'll be seeing that as well, right up my street. I'm not averse to any genre of film if it's good, so don't mind a rom/com or love story
    Lol - I don't mind love stories, when there's something quirky about them, and which applies to La Belle Époque, or there's a sinister twist to the love angle, preferably involving someone dying at the end

'Straight' love stories don't do it for me, especially rom/coms, as I simply find them vacuous and banal. The 'com' bit is usually the worst part, as I'm unlikely to be amused by most romantic stories, especially if the humour is American [and/or involves baby-shit], which is invariably the case... I just can't be doing with that cutesy, smiley, nicey-nicey nonsense!

The thing is, as Grant has mentioned, I don't watch movies to be 'cheered up' or uplifted, as I'm naturally cheery [lol], so don't need to 'feel better'. That's why overtly jovial, 'happy-clappy' comedies turn me off. I watch films to be entertained, in quite specific ways that I find appealing or exciting [taps into my psyche], which usually involves in some way me feeling shocked/scared and/or emotionally disturbed, during or after the event.

However, I also love a good action or gangster movie, which simply does what it says on the tin, black comedy, or a dark drama, perhaps based on a true story, which doesn't try to be too 'up itself'. There you go... You now know what 'makes me tick', movie-wise, and so which Blu-rays to buy me for Chrimbo!

Marco.

P.S 1917 looks cool, so will probably go and see that, along with Harriet.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Went to see Harriet today, I really enjoyed it. I didn't know the story beforehand, but she was quite something. Worth a watch if you like historical true stories. Amazing voice too, which is actually her singing in the film and during the end credits.

Seeing La Belle Époque on Monday Marco. Nearly went today, but it looked too busy.

I'm Grant.

Heard it was a decent film
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm expecting to see 'Harriet' next week.

Another film I would like to see is 'Le Mans '66' - surprising really, as I'm about as far from being a petrol head as it gets.
    Barry

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Another film I would like to see is 'Le Mans '66' - surprising really, as I'm about as far from being a petrol head as it gets.
    It's a cracking film Barry, seen it twice now. Superb performances from Damon and Bale, great story, superb sets and has something in there for most people - petrol heads or otherwise. The budget was $97 million and they've apparently got 62 of that back already and it's only been out a week!

Most importantly, there's no CGI, the stunts are real not faked, which is a massive bonus.

I'm Geoff.

It's a cracking film Barry, seen it twice now. Superb performances from Damon and Bale, great story, superb sets and has something in there for most people - petrol heads or otherwise. The budget was $97 million and they've apparently got 62 of that back already and it's only been out a week!

Most importantly, there's no CGI, the stunts are real not faked, which is a massive bonus.
    Two excellent actors there. I've been a fan of Bale since I saw 'The Machinist'.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Two excellent actors there. I've been a fan of Bale since I saw 'The Machinist'.
    Now that is a creepy film.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast