+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuphase Cartridge

Very interesting discussion.

I have had my Koetsu black re-tipped once- and it performed excellently and the same with Dynavector XX-1. I can assure you-nothing short of the "as good" performance would have pleased me. Any slightest weakness in sound reproduction and the cartridge would have been dumped.

The Te Kaitoa model of Dynavector cartridge is made in New Zealand and that too by a HI-FI dealer- who is also responsible for the "Phono-Stage". I heard it once and thought who on earth would ever buy it?

Stylys Expert when they return the cartridge send you a full report about measurements and testing with records etc.

Varun
    Varun

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I read somewhere that Len Gregory uses EsCo for his retips.....

In my over-tightening days, I bent a brand new Troika cantilever when fitting it. I sent it to EsCo and it came back "as new" with new cantilever telescoped in to the coil assembly exactly as manufactured. they claimed to be able to use the original diamond and re-mounted it (if not, it was identical to that supplied by Supex for this model).

There's a chap in Germany who seems to do a good job too, especially on well regarded B&O cartridges from the eighties. He can re-build the saphire cantilever/diamond of the MMC20CL to an *identical* standards to the excellent quality tip of the original - I suspect B&O bought the assemblies in as Rega do with their cartridges).

I have an OC30 with fully intact cantilever (same as the PTG one) but no diamond. I wonder if EsCo could fit a decent ML grade diamond to it without disturbing it (I know VDH can, as they did this to a Koetsu owned by Jimmy Hughes which was the best Koetsu I've ever heard until Jimmy later sent it to Koetsu to be turned into a "signature" model and they ruined it!!!).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I read somewhere that Len Gregory uses EsCo for his retips.....
    I'm not the only one then! <sigh of relief>
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Neal.

ESco are very well qualified to re-tip. Their work seems to be first class from my recent experience. They freely admit that if the suspension of the cart has collapsed or is in some way defective they are unable repair it....an inspection is only £25. If they deem all to be OK then they will re-tip for £285....that Accuphase will have to go for a really low price IMHO to make it worthwhile.

My KB has just been re-tipped and AFAIK they took it apart and cleaned all the debris from around the motor coils, they are very thorough and provide a report of the work carried out.

The KB now sounds as it did when I first bought it, it's not lost any of its character as far as I can tell and seems to be performing flawlessly. I very happy with it and would recommend ESCo to anybody.

Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Kee.

Neal,

ESco kept the ruby cantilever of the Kb, so it's just a new stylus?

The bulge around the tip seems a little excessive, though it doesn't look like adhesive. Or is it?
    Kee

I'm Neal.

Yes cantilever is the original, just the stylus replaced. The glue is a little excessive but not by much, here's the stylus prior to replacement:

Wow! Neal! how did you get those photos?

Dave

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    Wow! Neal! how did you get those photos?

Dave
    Watchmakers 'secret weapons'!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Neal.

That's right Mike! Would you belive a watchmakers / Jewelers stereoscope and Fuji F11 point 'n' shoot camera!

I'm Kee.

Neal

Great pictures. I agree, not by much. The old stylus doesn't appear worn in the pic. But then, what do I know?
    Kee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12