+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Dac next - Advice please

I'm Chris.

The Theta looks excellent vfm - but don't be put off by comments like "it sounded vastly better than your average mass production UK brand DAC" - I too thought along those same lines to avoid "mass production" - however in Arcam's case - for this particular model (the irDAC) - they've done something special - whether by fluke I don't know - but it certainly sounds superb even though you won't have that exclusive brand wow factor. The rDAC before it was only knee high to the SQ offered by the irDAC.

Best you try it and see for yourself.

Be careful with swapping kit out quickly when testing, you are best to listen to something that's been plugged in and settled for a couple of days - take a note of how you "feel" about the presentation of the music - then you'll know whether you miss it or not when taken out of the chain later.

I'm Keith.

The ideal would be to draw a list of 'possibles' and then audition them at home,
    Keith.
    FYI there is nothing inside a dac that would take more than minutes to reach operating temperature, your initial reactions to a new item of equipment are IMHO valid, over time your ears become accustomed to the 'new' sound.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Dave.

Rega have a new DAC later this month. Worth waiting to hear.

I'm Chris.

The iFi Audio micro iDSD is winning a lot of friends and positive comment around the net. I love mine. If it's a less digital, more musical presentation that you are looking for then this would be a good starting point. Even if you don't need all the extra features - and it has many - it stands up as a bloody good DAC at the price (£430).
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    The iFi Audio micro iDSD is winning a lot of friends and positive comment around the net. I love mine. If it's a less digital, more musical presentation that you are looking for then this would be a good starting point. Even if you don't need all the extra features - and it has many - it stands up as a bloody good DAC at the price (£430).
    I'm not surprised Chris, I have the nano and it's tremendous, so I've no doubt the micro is even better...

How does it compare to your CDQ?
    Cheers, Will

I'm Alan.

I have had an M2Tech Young DAC for a couple years now, I bought it second hand for £600 (£1200 new at the time) and I have no desire to change it they are excellent IMO.
    capable of up to 32 bit / 384Khz sample rate.
    They do benefit from a better power supply than the wallwart supplied with them, I made my own linear power supply for approx. £100

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Ben.

The young dac is definitely a possibility as on looks alone I love them. Nice to know they have upgrade potential as well. Will keep an eye on the classifieds I think.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12