Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: mordaunt-short pageant 2

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You have me a bit baffled.
    Whatever.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Philberish View Post
    Well we got some pretty good reviews with the 442 but it wasn't an easy sell what with its weight, looks and transit screws. It needed a big room too and that look was decidedly "Marmite" – especially after an expensive London design consultancy got asked to help (I remember a colleague at MS describing the cabinet as looking like a child's coffin. That was nice). A bigger problem though was that the UK sales guy had a back problem and struggled to get 442s out of his car and into dealers. He was much happier demoing MS20s.

Yeah the Darius was an odd one. One of the first with a decoupled tweeter though. And most Spendors are glorious (although the BC1 I always thought was overrated). Spencer Hughes' son Derek is currently doing all the design work at Graham Audio - the new LS3 is a lovely little box. We'll have to disagree on the SBL (you know it had basically the same bass/mid driver as the Pageant 2?), but then I had many good times at Naim so I'm a b it biased in its favour.

P
    I've had two pairs of SBLs, the first I bought new in the late 1980s, I had a Linn/Naim set up then and I loved the sound from them. I went to work for Harbeth in the early 1990s and moved the SBLs on in favour of the then brand new Harbeth HL Compact 7 which I kept for over 20 years. I fancied revisiting the SBL so bought a pair in need of new gaskets which I replaced but just couldn't get them to sound right, lovely top end as the Scanspeak tweeters had mellowed with time but the bass was very weak and no matter what I did or where I placed them I couldn't get on with the sound so I sold them and went back to the Harbeths. Then Jamie decided to sell his Signifers, he bought them over here so I could hear them at home, he was quite happy to take them back but I was sold on them straight away and won't be parting with them. Cheers Sir James
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Mike.

I must admit I’ve never owned a bad pair of Mordaunt Short speakers, they don’t seem to hold their value as well as their peers and as others have said in the right location with the right kit can punch well above their weight

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Emmett.

Would anybody know the values of the inductors on the Pageant 2 crossover. A pair I picked up recently have some burned / melted inductors for the treble in both speakers. Looking at a complete crossover rebuild. I cant find any info on what type inductors are used. The woofer ones seem to be still working fine.

I'm Phil.

Hi Emmett,

I was a design engineer at MS in the early 80s and, sadly, I can remember the Pageant 2 inductor values. The HF is 0.225mH and the LF is 1.5mH with a switched tap for 1.0mH. I knew there must be a reason why I’ve remembered that all these years. Maybe I’ll be able to forget now.

Hope you get the Pageants back up and running (careful with those Isophon tweeters - they’re a bit delicate and irreplaceable).

Cheers
    Phil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett123 View Post
    Would anybody know the values of the inductors on the Pageant 2 crossover. A pair I picked up recently have some burned / melted inductors for the treble in both speakers. Looking at a complete crossover rebuild. I cant find any info on what type inductors are used. The woofer ones seem to be still working fine.
    I have never seen melted inductors. Are you sure they are inductors you are looking at? I've seen failed or overheated resistors and capacitors, do you have a photo?

The crossovers shouldn't be difficult to repair or replace as suitable components should be available. They are decent speakers and certainly worth the effort.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

i have a spare pair of x-overs if you need them?

I'm Geoff.

In case anybody is not sure which components are which in Jamie's photos.

The black top left items are wire-wound resistors, the red is an inductor, the green is a tapped inductor and the Elcaps are the capacitors.

I'd replace the Elcaps as a matter of course as they are old and they can be replaced cheaply with Alcap items or something fancier if desired.

The inductors and resistors are probably fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

there are loads of threads about the pagaents,lots have replaced the caps as i did.
    i never did the inductors but knowing how much new larger inductors improved my ns1000's i reckon they would be on my to do list if i ever revisted the pagaents again.

I'm Emmett.

Thanks for the replies. The inductors are scorched for sure. It looks like the plastic tape wrap melted from overheating of the resistors? In both speakers too. Even some scorch damage on the wooly filling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast