+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: mordaunt-short pageant 2

I'm Geoff.

I went to another show with a friend who was a big Linn/Naim devotee and spent many thousands on their gear. He was keen to hear the SBL's. His only comment after listening to them was "oh dear". And this was from a bloke who was using Linn Saras of all things .

Mind you, I wasn't too sure about his ears. He went on to pair a set of the very first Acoustic Energy AE1's with two Naim 135's and matching pre-amp. You could strip the wallpaper off with the resuliting sound .

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Philberish View Post
    . A bigger problem though was that the UK sales guy had a back problem and struggled to get 442s out of his car and into dealers. He was much happier demoing MS20s.
    It's funny how the little things like that which are never anticipated and won't show up on the accountant's spreadsheet can make one hell of a difference.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lange View Post
    The old MS speakers are things that I rate highly, the budget models too (not that these are). I bought a pair of the latter MS15s years ago and they were pretty good for a budget speaker. £5.88 on ebay, great for the spare room. Only dumped them because some monsters that shall remain unnamed poked the tweeters out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's funny how the little things like that which are never anticipated and won't show up on the accountant's spreadsheet can make one hell of a difference.
    Yeah, funny now, but as the designer of the damn thing, I don't remember laughter being my response at the time :-)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Philberish View Post
    Yeah, funny now, but as the designer of the damn thing, I don't remember laughter being my response at the time :-)
    Lol. IME a reps main task is to make life as easy for himself as possible, selling comes a distant second.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I remember the 442. I saw and heard them at an audio show when they were released. Funny looking things, can't say they left much of an impression, 'cos I don't remember what they sounded like. Celestion also introduced a model named 442 at around the same time (Ditton 442), you don't see many of those about either.

I seem to recall seeing the then new Roksan Darius speaker at the same show. What a horrible thing they were, nearly as grim as the Naim SBL .

It wasn't all bad back then. The Spendor S100 was a glorious sounding speaker.
    Don't know where Walpurgis gets his info from but I used to sell 442's (and 551's and 662's) from their introduction in 1979 onwards - years before that MS 442.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    Don't know where Walpurgis gets his info from but I used to sell 442's (and 551's and 662's) from their introduction in 1979 onwards - years before that MS 442.
    So what's a few years in the dim haze of the past? It seemed around the same time to me.

I'm charles.

So what's a few years in the dim haze of the past? It seemed around the same time to me.
    I've seen you correct people for a lot less 'insignificance'- Celestion moved on to the 44 series 2 after the 442 for your information.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    I've seen you correct people for a lot less 'insignificance'
    Care to cite an instance?

I'm charles.

Care to cite an instance?
    I'm not prepared to get into a 'slanging match' with you in spite of your best efforts.

I'm Geoff.

You have me a bit baffled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast