+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr Angry

I'm InSpace.

Angry Mr Angry

See that bloke over there, the one with the purple face and a steady stream of swear words and spittle spewing form his mouth while tearing out his hair?.... Well, that's me that is!

I've been eagerly awaiting 'payday' next Wednesday, when I was hoping to place my order for a WD Phono3/PSU & a cartridge, so that I can finally dig out my vinyl again.

I now need to find more than ten times that amount of money thanks to the need for a new heating system. Our old one has just been condemned.

I now need a cunning plan and convincing 'reason' that will allow me to go ahead with the Phono3, otherwise it's going to be another couple of years without vinyl thanks to my upgrade plans being blow to bits!

AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Mike.

Default Condolences

Surely you mean the boiler and not the whole system? You have my sympathies, because if your expired boiler was an older type, you'll almost certainly have to 'invest' (definitely the wrong word!!) in a condensing boiler because of the regs. that came in 2 years ago.

Whether combi or not, the relatively complex technology is still not sorted, with consequent reliability problems and (built-in) shorter life-span.

They're no more musical than the older ones, either!.

Good timing in this unclement weather.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Surely you mean the boiler and not the whole system? You have my sympathies, because if your expired boiler was an older type, you'll almost certainly have to 'invest' (definitely the wrong word!!) in a condensing boiler because of the regs. that came in 2 years ago.
    Exactly so, Mike!

It also needs to be relocated, old one (including it asbestos flue) removed, radiator valves replaced, earthing 'issues' sorted, etc etc....

Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
    Exactly so, Mike!

It also needs to be relocated, old one (including it asbestos flue) removed, radiator valves replaced, earthing 'issues' sorted, etc etc....

Forget it and invest in a chain saw

Open up the fireplaces fitted to all pre 1960's houses and use the immersion heater for hot water. Cheaper and much more satisfying.

Also leave your amp on all day in winter, it is not wasting electricity if you need the heat. The valve amp enthusiast way of heating the house

I'm Mike.

Default Chain-saw Letter

RICHARD,

Don't know which chain saw you have, but mine's useless at heating water.

SHIAN,

If your current boiler is too far from a waste-water source (eg. sink waste outlet), you should be able under the regs. to stick with the conventional boiler. Both cheaper, and more reliable, if not quite so economical. This is the only opt-out of having to have a condensing boiler, I believe. (they create so much water residue, they have to be sited near a waste-water outlet.

Don't know why your 'stats' need replacing, but it's probably advisable for minimal cost. Asbestos? You must have a very old boiler that goes up a chimney flue. Usually these are larger floorstanding ones; d'you live in a mansion?

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    This is the only opt-out of having to have a condensing boiler, I believe. (they create so much water residue, they have to be sited near a waste-water outlet.
    Ha!... well it's even worse than that! The new boiler it being sited upstairs but still nowhere near a waste outlet, so it has to be pumped out! More expense!

The valve's all need replacing coz they're as old (there are no TRV's fitted) and knackered as the boiler i.e. same age as the house which was built in 1970 (I believe). The old boiler IS floor standing but not huge, it's roughly in the centre of house with the flue rising straight up through the house and out of the roof. There is not a single fireplace in the house, and it is certainly no mansion.

Four grand!... And £1750 of that is labour!... I should charge for the stuff I have to do myself! Bah!

I'm going to bed.

In a huff!
    Last edited by Mike; 25-03-2008 at 23:03.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Ha!... well it's even worse than that! The new boiler it being sited upstairs but still nowhere near a waste outlet, so it has to be pumped out! More expense!

The valve's all need replacing coz they're as old (there are no TRV's fitted) and knackered as the boiler i.e. same age as the house which was built in 1970 (I believe). The old boiler IS floor standing but not huge, it's roughly in the centre of house with the flue rising straight up through the house and out of the roof. There is not a single fireplace in the house, and it is certainly no mansion.

Four grand!... And £1750 of that is labour!... I should charge for the stuff I have to do myself! Bah!

I'm going to bed.

In a huff!
    I know a couple of good Polish builders sounds like someone is giving you the old "tut tut - suck in of breath" shake head - treatment. Get on the phone.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    sounds like someone is giving you the old "tut tut - suck in of breath" shake head - treatment.
    That would be British Gas then!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

That would be British Gas then!
    Surely the largest collection of organised criminals currently working the UK?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mike.

Why on Earth can't they replace like with like? There's nothing wrong with a centrally positioned chimney-flued floorstander. I've had a large Potterton in the past.

Why upstairs? Seems the most illogical place for a boiler; not exactly the most efficient either. Is that heat going to be lost to the loft?

Ideally, your water cylinder (and preferably boiler as well) should be as close to the run-off points (kitchen and bathroom taps) as possible, to avoid wasted cold water whilst waiting for the hot to flow.

My previous terraced house had its wall-mounted boiler installed at the extremity of a kitchen extention. You could see the snow/ice melt under the flat roof. We waited an age to get hot water in our (inside) bathroom.

Our current detatched house has the boiler next to sinks and directly under the cylinder (in airing cupboard) which is in the bathroom above. Result? Virtually instant hot water up and down. Minimal waste of heat and water.

Be very sceptical of a plumber's recommendations; it is as likely to be based on convenience (for him) as convenience (and efficient energy use) for you.

Good luck with your predicament, but at least your present installation doesn't owe you anything, if it's THAT old!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast