View Poll Results: Politicising a hobbyist forum: Good or bad?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

5 13.89%
  • Bad

31 86.11%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Politicising a hobbyist forum - Good or bad?

synsei Guest

Default Politicising a hobbyist forum - Good or bad?

Says it all in the title really...

synsei Guest

I don't mind the odd political debate from time to time as I find it keeps the old brain cells in good fettle and I have been known to instigate a couple of these myself. However, since the results of the Scottish referendum were announced there has been more than a slight whiff of bitterness and hypocrisy in the air. It's done and dusted, the people have spoken and therefore that is the end of it. What I object to is AoS being used as a springboard for pseudo-political activism of any persuasion, this is not the place for it

I'm Geoff.

I'm not voting either way. Any topic is fair game in the right place, but I do feel threads not related to Hi-Fi or music or sound reproduction in general, should be confined to the 'Abstract Chat' area. Just my view.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

synsei Guest

Any topic is fair game in the right place
    Except that it has gone beyond this point now Geoff as Marco has stated that he intends to use AoS and its membership to help promote a political agenda. It is this aspect where I feel the line has been crossed. Political debate is all well and good and can in fact be rather enjoyable as long as all parties involved behave themselves accordingly, this is taking things way too far though IMO

Incidentally, this is nothing personal it's just that I disagree with the methods employed, such as spamming the forum with political comment. Keep it in a single thread by all means and debate the issue, don't beat members over the head with it. In this way members will know which thread to visit/avoid...
    Last edited by synsei; 21-09-2014 at 13:50.

I'm Josie.

I see it this way, a forum and people can start a discussion or a debate about practically anything so long as it's posted in the correct section and that it's kept friendly, open, honest and fair with your cards placed firmly on the table.

I guess it's all about self discipline in to whether you join in on the debate or not. But fear not, Marco (or anyone else) won't black ball you if you don't take part or even vote against.

Personally, I don't get in to politics on forums very much... in the pub, yes... The written word can be misconstrued and with politics having a low melt down threshold for me those two ingredients are a bit of a Molotov. By starting a thread in defense of another thread can also cause just as much bad feeling so let's not go to war.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I see it this way, a forum and people can start a discussion or a debate about practically anything so long as it's posted in the correct section and that it's kept friendly, open, honest and fair with your cards placed firmly on the table.

I guess it's all about self discipline in to whether you join in on the debate or not. But fear not, Marco (or anyone else) won't black ball you if you don't take part or even vote against.

Personally, I don't get in to politics on forums very much... in the pub, yes... The written word can be misconstrued and with politics having a low melt down threshold for me those two ingredients are a bit of a Molotov. By starting a thread in defense of another thread can also cause just as much bad feeling so let's not go to war.
    There is a lot of wisdom contained in your post Joe and like you I've no wish to see members go to war over this, that would be totally daft and unacceptable. I do think that a poll such as I have posted can highlight what the membership thinks about this current 'hiccup' however, which at the end of the day is what is important.

I'm Josie.

Thanks matey... polls are always interesting.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Dave, you don’t half get on your high horse unnecessarily sometimes and exaggerate things!

Anyway, the fact is, there is ONE thread in Blank Canvas about the matter, and the remainder of it in the off-topic section, where such discussions belong, so I’d suggest that’s hardly “spamming the forum” with politics. Furthermore, that’s where the discussions will remain. The subject will not be raised anywhere else. You have my word on that.

The problem is (as has been evidenced by your contributions on the Scottish independence threads), you’d appear to rather just move on, brush any potential fraud/corruption under the carpet, and kid on it doesn’t exist, than ruffle any feathers by exposing it. In that respect, you appear to have your own agenda, as well as being a bit of a drama queen. Sorry, I have to be honest. “Members going to war”, FFS, mate, get a grip….

I’m afraid that (because I strongly believe that fraud has been committed, and that the referendum vote was rigged), I’m the exact opposite: I want to make as much NOISE AND FUSS as possible, and expose it as far as I’m able to, using my influence as a forum owner to draw people’s attention to the matter, in an effort to try and have the issue properly investigated by the relevant authorities.

Quite simply, if my efforts here add more names to the petition (and the numbers of people signing it are growing by the minute), and something good/constructive comes from that, then it’ll all have been worthwhile.

Simples!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Keep refreshing this page and watch the numbers of those who’ve signed the petition rising!!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...dum-vote-count

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

There is no provision in the vote for those of us (like me) who like, as it were, to sit on the fence.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast