+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Optical Digital Adapter.

I'm Confused.

Default Optical Digital Adapter.

Hi All,
    Just seen John's post on USB to spdif converter and am prompted to ask the following: -
    I understand that, in terms of digital system signal quality, toslink is best, next come co-ax, then phono. If this is the case I have 2 sources with optical digital out, both of which, ideally, I would like to feed my Standac 7520 but it only has one optical input.
    I have purchased a very cheap adapter off eBay which is said to permit 2 sorces into 1 input or 1 source into 2 inputs. It appears to transmit one source through to the input but will not transmit 2. It acts as though connecting the second source blocks out the first and vice versa.
    Question: - does anyone know of such an adapter that will fully transmit 2 sources into 1 input (not at the same time !!) or would it be a better compromise to use 1 co-ax source and 1 optical source, rather than 2 optical sources.
    All opinions welcome.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

short answer - coax is better, fact

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    short answer - coax is better, fact
    Hi Hamish,
    Don't 'beat around the bush' - if you're not sure just say so - are you sure?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

as far as i know! this has been discussed on here before.. something to do with bandwidth or something... way over my head!
    have a search on the forum, i tried to find the convo to link you to it but i cant find it! perhaps one of the nice mods will point you to it?

i always sell people good coax over optical

I'm ILOB.

Hi Dave I use a brass converter i got from an hifi shop and can use either my blue ray player or CD transport without any issues
    I am thinking of getting this to go for my DAC
    http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html
    or this but a bit pricy
    http://www.empiricalaudio.com/produc...ramp-converter
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Jim.

Whilst co-ax "may" sound better than optical one of the advantages of optical is that you don't get any ground loop issues. If you have any hum in your system on a co-ax connection then theres every chance that optical will remove this.
    Naim ND5 XS, nDAC, XP5 XS, 202, HC, NAPSC, 250.2, B&W 804s.
    AVR350, B&W HTM4, Gallo.
    Samsung, Oppo.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hi Dave I use a brass converter i got from an hifi shop and can use either my blue ray player or CD transport without any issues
    I am thinking of getting this to go for my DAC
    http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html
    The HAG uses a USB chip that is several years old and below the chip that I use in the TC-7520 and in the Caiman.

Stan

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by trailer View Post
    Whilst co-ax "may" sound better than optical one of the advantages of optical is that you don't get any ground loop issues. If you have any hum in your system on a co-ax connection then theres every chance that optical will remove this.
    this is true but in your system dave with the amount of conections to and from various bits of kit (ref. ss convo) it might not make any odds
    a bit of trial and error might be worth ago! especially if you have a good relationship with a local hifi shop that will lend you different cables!

+ Reply to Thread