+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EMITAPE - how to play it?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    When I was 20 someone criticised me for buying a Neil Young album, saying something like 'it's music for old fogeys'. I saw his point since to me at the time Neil Young was an old codger who was in his forties. That was 26 years ago! I don't feel any different though, and I still play Neil Young albums.
    I'm a fair bit older then!

Find that most of Young's albums are not really of very good audio quality.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

He likes to capture a raw, live feel, especially with Crazy Horse. I can dig that. Funny that his most popular album (Harvest) is one of the most polished of his productions, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    When I was 20 someone criticised me for buying a Neil Young album, saying something like 'it's music for old fogeys'. I saw his point since to me at the time Neil Young was an old codger who was in his forties. That was 26 years ago! I don't feel any different though, and I still play Neil Young albums.
    So do I, but I'm near his age!

Good music, is good music. Regardless of who plays it or how old they are!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Going a bit off topic, I promise that I will return to it when I have received TobesEtc's tapes for transfer.

I fancy uploading my recording of my friend playing Neil young somewhere, perhaps in the hope that my long lost friend will see it.

Any suggestions as to where, YouTube perhaps? And, are there any implications in uploading it?
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Neil might see it and ask for a royalty payment but on balance I doubt it. he's too busy with PONO anyway.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Oh dear, I didn't know, just checked up the news.
    Spendorman

I'm Gone.

Alex,

If you post the track to YouTube, there is an agreement in place that means the songwriter will get paid any publishing royalties that are due. It's an automated system and matches the song to the author, so post away.

Just a thought, if the heads on your machine need degaussing, I'm in Chiswick and still have an old Ferrograph degausser that I have used for about 45 years.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    No need to bake emitape, it is only Ampex who changed their binder formula, that had a problem with shedding after storage that requires this treatment. Print thorough on old tapes is common and the way to minimise it is always to store tapes tails out.
    Why should that make a difference? The turns of tape are in equally close proximity.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Hi Paul

Thank you, I take it then that I'm OK to do this on youtube. Many people do versions of famous musicians.

Good point about the degaussing, somewhere I have a BIB Demagnetiser. I suppose that it might be close to 30 years since I used it. So thank you again.

I suspect that the heads are OK in that respect as I have played a Police recording that was pretty high quality, extended clear treble, and it has not been altered after playing.
    Spendorman

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Why should that make a difference? The turns of tape are in equally close proximity.
    'Cos if you store the tape "Tails out" the print signal will have to pass through the backing layer to make a print and the strongest print through will be post print not pre print and will bemasked by the actual recording. The AES published loads on this back in the day check this link out, it's from a tech briefing I must of read first about in '94 when 3M launched 900 series tape, it explains it well. http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/3mtape/printthrough.pdf

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast