+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sub-Woofer Advice Please

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Def-Tech - Definitive Technology...

I'm not a home cinema fan so can't offer any more advice I'm afraid, apart from saying that once our son commandered the adjacent dining room for his lego (all over the table) and DVD/video watching, she relaxed no end about me having speakers in the sitting room. I still feel the BC2's are visually a bit intrusive, but she says she doesn't mind and is pleased that I'm getting such a good sound.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    a pre amp in its most simple form is just a volume and input switch
    a small complication has just occured to me now you have mentioned the fact you have a standac!
    are you going to be using the bdps350 as your source for cds or just film?
    Hi Hamish,
    Thanks again. In answer to your last question I don't use it as a source for CDs (my pc has a DVD/CD player. used for ripping etc and I have a stand-alone Marantz CDP used as source for playing CDs - well covered ).
    However I do have a small collection of music DVDs and I output the video direct to TV via HDMI lead, (with volume down to zero) and output sound by co-ax through the 7520 and on to Marantz amp and thence on to speakers. Does that give you the information you need?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Hi Jerry,
    Thanks for your input - see quick comments in blue above. Just as an aside, we got our first dishwasher some time ago solely on the recommendation of a cousin of mine. I just couldn't visualise the advantages that he outlined, but boy, was I wrong - wouldn't be without one now!!
    On the subject of loaned digital leads, take your time evaluating yours, I'm in no hurry for you to pass yours on.
    Cheers,
    The sub woofer in the basement can be sent too much of the upper bass frequencies which will be totally lost. With the menu set to large you will get better directional information-i.e left and right car doors slamming for example.

See PM Dave
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm David.

yeah it does
    the standac wont process suround sound, only 2 channel.
    this isnt ness a problem though, i have my bdp-s550 going into the ss amp out of one set of outputs and into the standac with another!
    this alows me to decide how i was to listen to it, 5.1 source stuff just goes direct into the ss amp
    stereo stuff (my missis uses it as a cd player) goes into the standac then to the stereo

make sence? im not so great at explaining stuff on here i usually just come here for advice as aposed to giving it so i hope this has helped (i do actually work a day a week in a hifi/camera shop where we mainly sell ss kit, i just find it easier to explain what i mean when i can point at stuff)

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Hi Hamish,
    Yes it all makes sense, thank you. I am a lot wiser now and when we finish this bloody decorating (if it doesn't finish me first ) and I get round to connecting everything up again, if I can remember how , I'll do what you suggest and see how it sounds.
    I know I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs as they say, but NEVER undercharge (unless it's me ), particularly arrogant Germans - if they demand premium service they should pay premium prices, particularly corporate guys, it all comes out of expenses anyway!
    Here endeth today's lesson.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

ok well when it comes to it if you get stuck you can always pm me and il try talk you through it if anything doesnt make sence

yeah i know i shouldnt undercharge it was a spur of the moment job, he asked me what i charge for a single portrait.. its never actually come up before - a single portrait for a CV! most people just go to a booth!! .... now i charge anything between £40 and £300 depending on situation so as this was going to be a very simple 20 min job i said £40 ... he said thats a bit expensive il ring around some other people ... i need the money so i said well look i can squeeze you in this lunch time and we can call it £30! he agreed - it took 20mins. £30 for 20 mins work aint bad in real terms really, i just felt id sold my self a bit short! anyway its done now and it bought me a few beers this evening so i guess i cant complain to much!

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Hi again Hamish,
    Thanks for the offer of PM help - much appreciated.
    Please ignore my comments on how you run your business, or at least don't take them seriously. Ive been a 'wage slave' all my working life - had one chance to get myself set up in my own business (foundry) - a business contact with a foundry to service his own machine shop found the business of running both was getting a bit much and offered me his foundry, with its tied market but opportunity to sell elswhere, at very favourable terms (we got on very well), but I chickened out and continued 'wage slavery' - often wonder what might have happened but don't waste time regretting it - life's too short. So, ...... don't take any advice from me on how to run any business too seriously - £30 is better than nothing, which is probably what you would have earned if you weren't doing his portrait.
    Thanks again and take care.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

I'm David.

if there is one thing i have learnt in the short time i have been running my business's its listen to every bit of advice anyone is willing to waste there time giving me, take it on board filter out the crap and act on what fits in with how i feel about things ... if that makes sence?? its amazing the little nuggets of gold that can be extrapolated from convosations with people in the pub... even the most pissed of people have given me fantastic insights in to marketing for eg! so yeah dont worry advice is something i am always truely pleased to recive whomever it might come from! and i do def agree with you, i shouldnt undercharge and i do feel a bit funny if i do incase they pass on cheap price info to other people if that makes sence... but like you say i wouldnt have had that £30 if i hadnt agreed to do it and in this day and age £30 is £30 is ten beers or the vat on a caiman ....

let me know how you get on with your new kit setup if you get to the stage where you are looking at a sub may be able to help with that too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12