+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodmans Triaxioms

I'm Martin.

There you go then just the Yanks talking it up again.

Thye do look like intersting drivers though. Just a thought if you are converting a wooden summer house you could mount the drivers into the walls with the cabinets outside. I'm envisioning a summer house with two sizeable sheds adjacent to it...the sheds being the cabs.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'For amplifiers up to 15 watts (30 watts in U.S.A)'

What's that all about? 1 Brtish watt = 0.5 American watts? I've never heard that before.
    I hate to say it Martin but you are too young.
    A while ago there was always the disparity of American versus British watts, British was always rms (appropriately regarding quality gear), whereas the American was always 'peak' power which is twice the figure.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There you go then just the Yanks talking it up again.

Thye do look like intersting drivers though. Just a thought if you are converting a wooden summer house you could mount the drivers into the walls with the cabinets outside. I'm envisioning a summer house with two sizeable sheds adjacent to it...the sheds being the cabs.
    You've just blown my mind Martin... Thats one hell of an idea !

I'm Martin.

Since I live in a terrace I've often thought of doing a similar thing. The party wll with one neighbour is only one brick thick so I could remove a few and mount drivers in the wall, using her house as the cab. I've not asked her if she would be amenable yet and I doubt she would be but hey nothing ventured nothing gained...I could always do it when she is away and present it as a fait accompli
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    OK...a little research has thrown up that the 212c drivers had a "Q" of closer to 0.7, so they'll work well in bass reflex, sealed or even open baffle configurations. I've found these cabs for the Goodmans 12 inch drivers so perhaps somewhere to start?

The Triaxiom works very well with the Goodmans ARU as specified in the above drawings.

Not easy to come by pairs nowadays but they do turn up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-GOODMA...3D250851235168

Or you could try making some yourself

I'm James.

I looked into ARU's when I had the Axiom 301's... They look fairly easy to reproduce, I have all the dimensions & material thickness measurements on file. One chap on Diyaudio recalled building cabs for them as a young man, apparently the budget alternative to the ARU was to staple a couple of hankie's over the port opening

Found this too:

I'm Geoff.

You suggested using Tannoy cabinets. It would certainly be a cheap way out. There are plenty of Cheviot boxes about and they could be suitable, as they are more rigid and better braced than most of their 12" driver cabinets. They'll give the drivers a reasonable amount of 'breathing space' and probably come with enough suitable damping material. You'd have to blank the front hole left by the tweeter adjuster and adapt the terminal panel hole on the back, but it would all be easy. Experimenting with port dimensions may be of benefit, but it could be that the standard port suits the Goodmans units.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jay.

The boxes in those drawings are aperiodic ported, and require the ARUs. If you want standard ported boxes you need to go larger. I wouldn't go with Cheviot cabs if you go with Tannoys, though you could probably cut up the baffle and make it aperiodic, which should work. I think Cheviots are about 70L.

I have two pairs of 201s, a pair of ARUs and a few Trebax tweeters. The coax tweeter of the Triaxiom is the same as the Trebax, though mine are the newer models with the round horns. If you need any dimensions or info on the ARU just ask, I can take measurements for you. The "cloth" appears to be thin red felt, with a metal mesh inside the wooden frame. Looks simple to reproduce.

I'm James.

Thanks for the offer Jay but I think I've got all the necessary info to replicate some A.R.U's but will give you a shout if I get stuck.

Unfortunately Cheviot cabinets do look a little on the small side but there's plenty out there so I'll just have to keep an eye out... Interestingly Goodmans also produced plans for a "non A.R.U" cabinet which is rather on the large side...

I'm Nial.

I've heard these work rather well in a Tannoy GRF cab.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast