+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4k UHD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alan.

Default 4k UHD

Hi Guys,
    I've just installed a new Samsung 4K UHD telly, I could do with some help please, I'm thick when it comes to technology stuff.

I can get HD TV on about 4 channels, but how does one find the 4k stuff?

I have talktalk tv youview, which only seems to offer the ability to pause live tv over the smart tv I have, it can record programmes, but as I have catchup tv and I-player, I wonder whether I need youview at all?

my smart remote has a pause button, but it says "recording (or timeshift) is currently unavailable.

do I need a new aerial?

any advice welcome

regards Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Confused.

I'm not much 'thinner' than you but I don't think there's much native 4K broadcast. A John Lewis TV salesman advised me that it sort of upscales HD to give the appearance of more detail. No doubt someone who really understands these things will be along shortly to educate us both.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Alan.

Thanks Dave,
    I sort of understand that the 4k telly takes a HD programme and improves it (upscales), but I can't see any evidence of this, in the showroom there was a display showing 4k and it was obviously better, but how does one access it?

regards Al
    My system,

Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    RCM Okki Nokki

I'm sorted.

Looks like just via Netflix at the moment

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...-4k-tv-1048954

I'm Neil.

These are cars waiting for wheels as there is no 4K broadcast material yet. Any will be via disc or as mentioned streaming services. So you have bought a future proof product but that future isn't here yet.

Regards Neil

I'm Alan.

the annoying part is that I paid £700 for this thing, thinking it was around the corner, that was a year ago, I'm lucky if I can find HD, let alone any improved format, I feel I've been ripped off and in a short while the same tv will be available for half the price, I'm a sucker
    My system,

RCM Okki Nokki

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by trio leo View Post
    the annoying part is that I paid £700 for this thing, thinking it was around the corner, that was a year ago, I'm lucky if I can find HD, let alone any improved format, I feel I've been ripped off and in a short while the same tv will be available for half the price, I'm a sucker
    Almost a year since Alan's post-is there much 4k available?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alan.

Thanks chaps,
    that techradar article was informative, I can't wait to see what it does, well I'll have to actually.

think I'll try Netflix just to see what it's like.

cheers Al
    My system,

RCM Okki Nokki

I'm Alan.

I posted this in 2014, I still see adverts for TV's and in small print at the bottom of the screen is "4K ready", and I was right, these "4K ready" TV's are half the price I paid, will it be 3,4,5 years before this con actually arrives?

I need a word with Santa Claus.

cheers Al
    My system,

RCM Okki Nokki

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Con?

Quote Originally Posted by trio leo View Post
    I posted this in 2014, I still see adverts for TV's and in small print at the bottom of the screen is "4K ready", and I was right, these "4K ready" TV's are half the price I paid, will it be 3,4,5 years before this con actually arrives?
    Currently watching Sky Sports 1 (Bournemouth vs. Liverpool), in UHD, on my 4K Sony TV, and loving it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast