+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Computer Troubles, Solutions & Tips

I'm Alex.

Last night a friend brought round his wife's laptop, about 3 years old, Windows 7, good spec machine. Was running so slow it was almost impossible to use.

Installed Ccleaner, Glary Utilities and Superantispyware, ran all those, they found a lot of cr*p, including dubious toolbars. Then de-fragmented the drive. Machine is running quite nicely now. Just about to phone him to collect it.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

If you use the correct utilities with windows it should give no more trouble than a Mac. My security systems and install/ uninstall programs keep on top of everything, and Win Patrol sits on top of it all and informs me if anything tries to change anything. We all pick up unwanted programs/ malware that can screw your pc up, the right utilities will catch and remove them before they do any damage; well they have for me so far.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Last night a friend brought round his wife's laptop, about 3 years old, Windows 7, good spec machine. Was running so slow it was almost impossible to use.

Installed Ccleaner, Glary Utilities and Superantispyware, ran all those, they found a lot of cr*p, including dubious toolbars. Then de-fragmented the drive. Machine is running quite nicely now. Just about to phone him to collect it.

That's virtually the same as I did with my brother's Vista laptop. It's better, but it's Vista on a low capability computer, so it's still pretty bad.

As for reinstalling Windows three times a year. Well, I'm sure it's not necessary for most people, but I'm not most people, I freely admit to being a PC disaster zone. But I just like tinkering and experimenting with the damn thing. At least it's an interesting learning curve and nobody's ever shown me how to use a PC or do anything on one, I just get stuck in and have a go, no matter what goes wrong (and much does, quite often). Next stop Linux. Now there's a situation with disaster potential!!

At least I'm back home now on my quick desktop PC (Ah, bliss), after a knackering six hour drive back from deepest Cornwall. Bit shagged out!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 01-10-2014 at 19:32.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Just did another Windows 7 reinstall. Finished loading a few third party apps this morning. All running like new. Lovely!

Sticking with I.E.11 and MSE + AVG LinkScanner. Also installed Wise Program Uninstaller (far better than the built in Windows effort), CCleaner, PolyEdit Lite document processor, Gadwin PrintScreen and FastStone Image Viewer (very handy image editor). That should do for now!

I have a selection of other software on a pen drive for extra maintenance duties.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Well that's a new one!

I was poking about on AutoTrader and inadvertently clicked on a blank bit of page and a new tab opened giving me this Google error message page. Never seen one before.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Anyone got any idea how to access the Euro sign on a Mac? It shares the number 2 button with the ‘@‘ symbol, but I don’t have a scooby how to get the Euro sign to show up on the screen…….

Marco.
    I use Google quite a bit.
    It's full of useful information
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just did another Windows 7 reinstall. Finished loading a few third party apps this morning. All running like new. Lovely!

Sticking with I.E.11 and MSE + AVG LinkScanner. Also installed Wise Program Uninstaller (far better than the built in Windows effort), CCleaner, PolyEdit Lite document processor, Gadwin PrintScreen and FastStone Image Viewer (very handy image editor). That should do for now!

I have a selection of other software on a pen drive for extra maintenance duties.
    not tried that one. I always use Rev pro for that. it costs initially but is a fabulous program. the free one is good as well. I dont like those cleaners, as they usually cause untold problems down the line.....
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

This is weird. I have been using Opera browser for years as main, but today the android version seemed to be silly slow and I moved to Puffin and everything was uber fast. Tonight my PC version of Opera has began playing up big style so I moved to Firefox and everything is uber fast.?????????? MOST ODD!!
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not tried that one. I always use Rev pro for that. it costs initially but is a fabulous program. the free one is good as well. I dont like those cleaners, as they usually cause untold problems down the line.....
    You'd find Wise Program Uninstaller as comprehensive and effective as any other uninstaller I can think of. It's vastly more able than the Windows effort. I've been using it for years without problems and of course it's free.

CCleaner has an excellent reputation and I've not heard of it being problematic.

If you fancy a change to a rather decent Chrome based browser that works very well. Give 'Torch' a spin:

http://www.torchbrowser.com/

I like it.

I'm Grant.

Not tried that browser yet. Will check it out tonight
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678