+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firebottle OTL

I'm James.

Default Firebottle OTL

I would like to thank Alan (Firebottle) for a very enjoyable afternoon listening to his Firebottle OutLaw (OTL). I am not going to write a detailed review on the amplifier as it was only firing on two cylinders, having lost a couple of the output valves due to early failures.

However even though the OTL amplifier was only kicking ot 10 watts it was more than enough to drive my Spendor Sp2,s. Source equipment was a VPI Scout and 2M black cartridge and a Firebottle phone stage, one of Alans latest models with MM and MC inputs.

If you have ever heard an OTL amplifier you will know how transparent and clean they sound, Alans was no exception. This little amplifier, sorry I dont have pics but there are some on one of Alans threads, really allowed a window into the recording and was highly revealing and detailed with beautiful clarity from top to bottom. On some recording my speakers simply disappeared and there was a real presence of vocalists and instruments in the room. Combined with the Firebottle phono stage it was a wonderful combination which showed just how magical valves can sound.

If you have fairly sensitive speakers the Firebottle OTL and phono stage would make a killer combination and I cannot recommend enough for those who may be interested to try. If you have heard Alans phono stage then you need to hear his OTL.

Wonderful stuff from a very talented amplifier designer
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

Saw some snaps of it and looked superb
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Thanks James for the praise, I'll be needing a tin hat next

It was great to come round again and to try the OTL on different speakers, as I do rather rate your SP2s.
    To be accurate, from the 4 output valves I purchased one has suffered premature failure, infant mortality if you like, it happens occasionally with NOS valves, the first time for me personally

I very much enjoyed the selection of music as well, particularly the Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread