+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my audio gear - mostly home brew

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by TKK View Post
    Neil

The plinth is made up of 4 half-inch clued layers of high density fibreboards. You could see I have a slab of aluminium below that plinth and in unison they produce better sonic results when clamped than when secured by screws. To me, at least. Screwing the layers together don't do anything except add mass at the bottom. The clamps afford a certain degree of resonance tunability on the plinth, especially if done at the corners. They look silly, but as far as I can tell, the whole ensemble works well in the context of the system. That's important – in the context of the system. I had a much heavier lead-loaded solid teak plinth for comparison which didn't appeal to me sonically as much and I got rid of it.

The small American walnut tonearm board is similarly clamped at one point and 2 shallow screws are deployed on the opposite side to keep the board in place. The tunability has a marginally greater effect here. That's not hard to envision, I think.

rgds,
    Very interesting....thank you for the answer. The ability to change the pressure points and pressure holding material together, will no doubt raise lots of possibilities among our DIY members. Food for thought.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Those speakers look like they could eat you - awesome!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12