+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Dog Technics 1200/10 PSU

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post
    Interesting John, which TS PSU did you make the comparison too... The original (silver), the HE or the Big fella T-O1psu? I have owned all three and the latter one is the one I choose to use = No over blown bass output there. It would really be helpful if when dismissing the TS PSU units that the actual model is mentioned so a more overall accurate picture can be arrived at if you please I have heard the earlier LD/MRCU psu unit, and as I have said somewhere else on here it was a contender for me but for me, with my high modication late model SL1210Mk2 and accompanying ancillaries the TS-01 psu was the one I invested heavy cash on with the view of satisfaction, confidence and long term ownership.

Cheers,
    Ron

Ron, the TS PS was the original basic one. However I have not heard the HE or the T-01. I wasn't dismissing either TS PSU but in all honesty I have no wish to consider anything from that particular company.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Having upgraded my Technics SL1200 with a Mike New bearing, ETP platter, SME V, Isonoe feet, MCRU Techniboots Support Feet and a Timestep PSU over the past couple of years or so, I decided to try a Long Dog Audio PSU supplied to me by David Brook of MCRU.

Discs used: Simply Red, Picture Book. Paul Simon, Graceland. Ted Heath, Swing is King. Tracks were first listened to with the Timestep and then the Long Dog was inserted and the tracks played again.

On Old Red (Picture Book) bass is extremely well controlled and does not ''let go'' as with my previous power supply, the whole track is projected into a plausible sound stage. With Ted Heath's Swing is King trumpet is vividly rendered and there is more depth again with believable solidity to the music. On Graceland's Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes, with my previous TS PSU, bass tended to become somewhat overblown. With the LD PSU this problem was overcome to reward with a fine sounding rendition.

Of course this is with my system and more importantly my ears. I am, frankly, surprised by the improvement to the sound of my system, not previously thinking there would be that much difference, but this is a definite keeper.

I have no commercial connection with LDA, MCRU or Mike New or Timestep.

John, may l ask why you chose the Ortofon 2M Black for your Techie/SME V, did you compare any other cartridges to the Orty.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    John, may l ask why you chose the Ortofon 2M Black for your Techie/SME V, did you compare any other cartridges to the Orty.

Hi Andy. Yes I have used a Lyra Dorian, a Denon 103R and a Sumiko BPS along with a Dynavector DV20 XH. The Lyra is too toppy for my liking, although it sounds ''fast'' and gives plenty of detail (maybe a suitable SUT might help here). The Denon gives a powerful performance but ultimately end of side distortion on some recordings was unacceptable (though this may be attributed to record wear). The Sumiko I really like for its wide stereo spread and I sometimes use it, but treble can sound coarse. The Dynavector sounds ''dark'' and doesn't suit at all. So to the 2M Black - I find this to be excellent all round with tight bass, informative mids and smooth treble, and masses of detail which on some recordings I hear things I have never heard before. Plus it has the convenience (for me at least) of a replaceable stylus assembly which is a bonus.

John

I'm Andrew.

SME V + 1210 + ortofon = SONIC NIRVANA
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Robert.

Hi Andy. Yes I have used a Lyra Dorian, a Denon 103R and a Sumiko BPS along with a Dynavector DV20 XH. The Lyra is too toppy for my liking, although it sounds ''fast'' and gives plenty of detail (maybe a suitable SUT might help here). The Denon gives a powerful performance but ultimately end of side distortion on some recordings was unacceptable (though this may be attributed to record wear). The Sumiko I really like for its wide stereo spread and I sometimes use it, but treble can sound coarse. The Dynavector sounds ''dark'' and doesn't suit at all. So to the 2M Black - I find this to be excellent all round with tight bass, informative mids and smooth treble, and masses of detail which on some recordings I hear things I have never heard before. Plus it has the convenience (for me at least) of a replaceable stylus assembly which is a bonus.

John
    +1, not to mention texture, timbre of instruments - boy do horns parp ! separation of parts and did someone mention masses of detail retrieval I'm a self confessed fan boy (Must get to try it's mc family member the Quintet Black though as if it's similar but 'better' then that will be something )

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    +1, not to mention texture, timbre of instruments - boy do horns parp ! separation of parts and did someone mention masses of detail retrieval I'm a self confessed fan boy (Must get to try it's mc family member the Quintet Black though as if it's similar but 'better' then that will be something )

Hi Rob. During the many years of my interest in the reproduction of music, I have used a lot of different carts - MM and MC. But always I return to Ortofons. There must be something in their sound that suits my ears So with my current combination, especially with the addition of the LD MCRU PS, I am getting the best sound ever from my vinyl.

John

I'm Clive.

Hi Rob. During the many years of my interest in the reproduction of music, I have used a lot of different carts - MM and MC. But always I return to Ortofons. There must be something in their sound that suits my ears So with my current combination, especially with the addition of the LD MCRU PS, I am getting the best sound ever from my vinyl.

John
    Absolutely agree re Ortofons. Over the last 44 years I have used Audio Technica, Shure, ADC, Denon, Linn and 5 or 6 different Ortofons which is always the brand I come home to.

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Deba.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Absolutely agree re Ortofons. Over the last 44 years I have used Audio Technica, Shure, ADC, Denon, Linn and 5 or 6 different Ortofons which is always the brand I come home to.

Clive
    This does sound interesting and I've always thought of trying out an exterrnal PSU with my 1200.
    How much is this PSU from MCRU? - cant seem to find the LD PSU on the MCRU website
    Analogue - 401/PU7/Benz Wood + Oracle Delphi-FR64fx-2M Black, Digital - Sonos/Metrum
    Amps - Hegel H360, Croft 25R/7R, Sonneteer Orton
    Speakers - Shahinian Obelisks, Proac D28, JR149

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
    This does sound interesting and I've always thought of trying out an exterrnal PSU with my 1200.
    How much is this PSU from MCRU? - cant seem to find the LD PSU on the MCRU website
    http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/6.../price-162-550
    The one pictured at the start of the thread is the more expensive one.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12