+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another 1200 being modded

I'm Andy.

Originally I asked my dealer to set up my cartridge as I had no idea. I had set it to the 52mm specified by technics.

He used a mirrored gauge from either clear audio or avid and found my cartridge to be rather out.

I have since used the setup he did for me.

(this is part of setting up a deck that I hav'nt tried yet)

is there a right way or a wrong way, or is it just whatever your ears think?

I'm Jim.

There is a right way, and that's what the arm geometry is made for... Specifically a 52mm overhang from the headshell collar to the tip of the stylus, as shown -

The overhang gauge

is a 2 Bob item, it works quite well.

As for somebody trying the 'right' alignment, that was most likely bayerwald, (which does work) but the stock headshell is almost always too short to get it to set properly. I have an Ortofon headshell that I use with a HOMC Ortofon that is long enough, but barely. Sounds nice.

Anyway,get the Technics overhang gauge and give it a go, You'll like it.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Andy.

Overhang gauge ordered,

it will be interesting to see how much difference there is in the sound.
    Currently it sounds pretty good though my listening room is rather compromised in size and clutter!

Working on an bugle 2 phono stage currently, should be better than the built in stage im using!

photos to follow as normal

A

I'm Andy.

Default Resurrection!

SO a few years have passed! but having accumulated even more vinyl I turned again to playing!

The deck is the same as before but with a Ortofon Blue.

The PSU is in its enclosure, and looks great, photos to follow....

I have finished the Bugle 2 phono amp! photos to follow....

I have re-stacked my hi-fi rack as it was gettign too tall, this obviously helps with stability.

Oh and I have used Vibrapods with there cones as a foot replacement.

More to follow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345