+ Reply to Thread
Page 580 of 1097 FirstFirst ... 804805305705785795805815825906306801080 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,800 of 10964

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I was somewhat conservative in my prediction of the winning bid - they went for £17,701 FFS ! At least I was right in it possibly being the record for these much misunderstood speakers.
    Much misunderstood buyers, actually.

The speakers are fine, it's just 'We Westeners' don't understand the
    Far East Collectors.

One buyer, who has many pairs, treats them with a religious fervour.
    A pair of his LS3/5as has crystals on their top surfaces.
    Something to do with 'Energy'!

In private the owner probably genuflects to them in some odd
    Ceremony...

I'm Alex.

Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Dunno. They're already at five times what I'd regard as their material worth. One is paying for what are basically old KEF Codas in stiffer boxes and with fancy crossovers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Dunno. They're already at five times what I'd regard as their material worth. One is paying for what are basically old KEF Codas in stiffer boxes and with fancy crossovers.
    I agree with your statement that they're already at five times their material worth, but have original Codas and Chartwell LS3/5a's, the sound is completely different. The Codas have a horrible midrange and slightly screechy treble, the crossover in the LS3/5a does a lot to correct this.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    The Codas have a horrible midrange and slightly screechy treble
    I know. I had a few pairs.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

I know. I had a few pairs.
    Strange thing, when they first came out, I heard them and was impressed, I suppose because for a small speaker they went down quite low, and also went up high.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

My experience of them was quite similar. When I first heard the smaller speakers in original KEF 'C' Series from the seventies, I thought they sounded amazing. In later years I found them not so nice. I think it was more a question of how bad small speakers had been before the Codas and the like came along.

In fact, I can't recall a small speaker that I've owned that I really liked much, old or modern, with the exception of the Usher S520.

Not owned the LS3/5a, but I've used a few pairs on my system.

I'm Martyn.

My experience of them was quite similar. When I first heard the smaller speakers in original KEF 'C' Series from the seventies, I thought they sounded amazing. In later years I found them not so nice. I think it was more a question of how bad small speakers had been before the Codas and the like came along.

In fact, I can't recall a small speaker that I've owned that I really liked much, old or modern, with the exception of the Usher S520.

Not owned the LS3/5a, but I've used a few pairs on my system.
    I prefer my Harbeth P3-ESRs, but the LS3/5as have their place.
    On a bedroom system, running from a stereo Receiver, Radio 3 & 4 are just superb through the '3/5as.

I've had a few pairs, but the late 11 ohm Rogers I've just bought are the best sounding I've had in my opinion.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    I prefer my Harbeth P3-ESRs, but the LS3/5as have their place.
    On a bedroom system, running from a stereo Receiver, Radio 3 & 4 are just superb through the '3/5as.

I've had a few pairs, but the late 11 ohm Rogers I've just bought are the best sounding I've had in my opinion.
    I find their popularity unfathomable. Pleasant enough but on anything more challenging than Radio 4 (or perhaps one of the remaining AM radio stations), they disappoint. No bass at all in any meaningful sense. Bedroom system yes but I'm sure whichever idiot bought these isn't planing to balance them on top of a wardrobe.

I'm Rob.

Something strange going on with LS3/5A's at the mo#

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-PAIR-OF-...4AAOSwkl5XcrFB
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread