+ Reply to Thread
Page 517 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 174174675075155165175185195275676171017 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,170 of 10972

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Alex.

No, the Irish connection is McMichael ! joking.

http://www.mcmichael.org.uk/products.htm

Ended up under GEC, yours truly worked for them for around 20 years. Still not got over it and I left more than 10 years ago.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Did all my training on mostly Rank Bush Murphy stuff, along with ITT-KB and some GEC, Thorns etc. Not any worse than anyone else in the day, tv, and radio wise tbh.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The first TV my parents had was a McMichael, the second was dual-standard Thorn EMI. The latter was a switchable 405/625 line set; the switching was so complicated it was unreliable to the effect that the set spent more time in the service department than it did at home!
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Funny that quite a few here have connections with GEC, shame that the Company is sort of gone. When I started it was plain GEC, then became GEC Marconi, then Marconi Avionics, then BAE SYSTEMS, all this time I was in the same dept doing the same job. After I left an Italian firm (Selex) took over our work.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Did all my training on mostly Rank Bush Murphy stuff, along with ITT-KB and some GEC, Thorns etc. Not any worse than anyone else in the day, tv, and radio wise tbh.
    I remember having a 405 line Bush TV, that was numerous decades ago, not a bad set for the time. Later I had the ITT/ KB Featherlight 12" portable TV, also a good set. In the 70's I bought an ITT / KB Tiny portable radio, again pretty good.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Yeah, my Uncle worked for Marconi avionics as a draftsman, working of some fancy gear for military.. up in Fife I think. He was a very clever guy, but alas got Parkinsons and never worked again. they held his job for years hoping he would recover... that was many moons ago. Good firm..... locally we had Plessey factory , which was situated a stones throw from where I live. they had many thousands on the payrol
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Funny that quite a few here have connections with GEC, shame that the Company is sort of gone. When I started it was plain GEC, then became GEC Marconi, then Marconi Avionics, then BAE SYSTEMS, all this time I was in the same dept doing the same job. After I left an Italian firm (Selex) took over our work.
    Not really surprising as the then GEC-Marconi Company was the largest electronics company in the UK. I worked at the Marconi Research Laboratories for thirty years, and during that time spent some time at Marconi Communications Limited and at the GEC Hirst Research Centre.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yeah, my Uncle worked for Marconi avionics as a draftsman, working of some fancy gear for military.. up in Fife I think. He was a very clever guy, but alas got Parkinsons and never worked again. they held his job for years hoping he would recover... that was many moons ago. Good firm..... locally we had Plessey factory , which was situated a stones throw from where I live. they had many thousands on the payrol
    I think I left one name change out, somewhere in-between the names I gave was also Marconi Defence Systems Ltd. Yes, the Company did look after sick people, hoping that they might return. I knew several.

Now Plessey, when they closed their last factory, and I think GEC bought them out, all salvageable Plessey equipment was brought to our site. I was asked if any equipment was suitable for our Dept. I looked at it and everything was too outdated for us. Didn't want anything.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Yeah, the bathgate plant had suffered badly from lack of investment; think it closed in early 80's.... made capacitors if memory serves/ used to be Telegraph Condenser Company (TCC)
    Last edited by struth; 10-03-2016 at 22:29.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not really surprising as the then GEC-Marconi Company was the largest electronics company in the UK. I worked at the Marconi Research Laboratories for thirty years, and during that time spent some time at Marconi Communications Limited and at the GEC Hirst Research Centre.
    Well, a bit of topic here, I worked not far from you in Stanmore, which was the main research site where all the Directors resided, I occasionally visited Hirst Research in East Lane Wembley. Sometimes saw Keith Arbor there.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread