+ Reply to Thread
Page 457 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 357407447455456457458459467507557957 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,570 of 10972

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    The only Spendor type I have is a pair of Sterling LS 3/5a's... which for some reason I have kept hold of for years... with the right amp, which is not the Oto, they are just lovely. I guess I should really sell them if I intend to keep the Oto, which I do

I've never heard the BC1's but have always read they are very good indeed...
    I don't have Stirling LS3/5a, but do have Chartwell 15 Ohm LS3/5a, home made Clone LS3/5a and two pairs of JR149, In my view, the LS3/6 / Export Monitor is quite a bit better, much bigger of course.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I have some Rola Celestions 10" x 6" out of a an early expensive Decca Radiogram, they are pretty good too. So you beat me. I have some Tannoy HPD315's though, but not really a true single unit.
    Ah. I have similarly sized Isophon units that sound very fine too (well actually they are 10" x 8" ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

home made Clone LS3/5a
    Weren't those the ones I heard? I thought they sounded really remarkably good! Definitely better than any I've tried on any of my systems (yes I was using decent gear to drive them).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I don't have Stirling LS3/5a, but do have Chartwell 15 Ohm LS3/5a, home made Clone LS3/5a and two pairs of JR149, In my view, the LS3/6 / Export Monitor is quite a bit better, much bigger of course.
    It's a shame that most people want the Rogers/Spendor/Chartwell etc version of the LS 3/5a's as they are all pretty old now and may well need some work but my Sterling version is the very last production for LS 3/5a's but nobody wants them.... I seem to remember Ken Kessler rating the Sterlings very highly though...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Weren't those the ones I heard? I thought they sounded really remarkably good! Definitely better than any I've tried on any of my systems (yes I was using decent gear to drive them).
    Yes, those are the ones, driven off a cheap class D amp TPA3116 and a laptop power supply.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    It's a shame that most people want the Rogers/Spendor/Chartwell etc version of the LS 3/5a's as they are all pretty old now and may well need some work but my Sterling version is the very last production for LS 3/5a's but nobody wants them.... I seem to remember Ken Kessler rating the Sterlings very highly though...
    I'm sure that the Sterlings are very good, I bought my Chartwells for £90 decades ago from a friend when that was the going rate. He bought them new, they have not been abused. Crossovers in LS3/5a are unlikely to have drifted unless abused, no electrolytic capacitors in them. My clones and the Chartwells sound very similar.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Yes, those are the ones, driven off a cheap class D amp TPA3116 and a laptop power supply.
    I was impressed with those. The imaging, depth and clarity were very good. They even seemed to have decent weight too. Were you using any equalisation?

Class D amps should not be underestimated. Some sound very good.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I was impressed with those. The imaging, depth and clarity were very good. They even seemed to have decent weight too. Were you using any equalisation?

Class D amps should not be underestimated. Some sound very good.
    No equalisation was used, output from an old Soundblaster 5.1 PC card directly to the £10 or so TPA3116 amp. There may have been a very very slight lift of the high end treble caused by the output filter caps of the 3116 being more suitable for 8 Ohm nominal speakers. The LS3/5a are supposed to be 15 Ohm nominal.
    Spendorman

I'm Paul.

Complete vintage Yamaha pro system - love the amp

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    Complete vintage Yamaha pro system - love the amp
    It is very cool isn't it? But he is asking too much. NS10s are about £300 used. And the subwoofers are not rare as he claims they are. They aren't that great, either.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread