+ Reply to Thread
Page 1061 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 6156196110111051105910601061106210631071 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,610 of 10972

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Rare Metrosound electrostatic hybrid speakers. Seller doesn't know what they are, the tweeter was a flat electrostatic driver. There was a larger version too as I recall, I wonder if these actually work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124723821...00%7C7000%7C10
    The seller must have changed the description, as there is no mention of Metrosound or electrostatic. The heading is now: "vintage type speakers goodmans elac", so I presume the drive units are by Goodmans and Elac.
    Barry

I'm jamie.

isn't that because,as geoff said he doesn't know what they are?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    isn't that because,as geoff said he doesn't know what they are?
    I wouldn't know.
    Barry

The speaker for sale looks very similar to the Metrosound Duplex 15:

though the one for sale looks shorter in height. I would have thought there would be a Metrosound label on the rear if it was a genuine Duplex.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Maybe the original electrostatic tweeter was problematic and an owner fitted the Elac unit as a replacement.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

I thought electrostatic speakers required mains voltage? The ebay item does not appear to have mains input.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I thought electrostatic speakers required mains voltage? The ebay item does not appear to have mains input.
    They do and it's noted in that old advert Geoff posted. I didn't see any mains input in the pics either but they don't cover every inch of the speaker even though there's loads of them.

They do seem to be a close match to the one in the Metrosound advert though. I'd never heard of them and there's not much on the web. There's a company called Metrosound doing in car audio, I wonder if it is the same firm?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

There have been self-energising electrostatic headphones, but I'd think it unlikely for speakers.

Perhaps somebody bought a job lot of left over Metrosound cabinets and bunged their own choice of drivers in. Hard to guess fifty years on.

I'm Lawrence.

That unused hole on the back was probably once where the power cable went.

+ Reply to Thread