+ Reply to Thread
Page 992 of 1097 FirstFirst ... 492892942982990991992993994100210421092 ... LastLast
Results 9,911 to 9,920 of 10962

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Since never.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Yes, but they are nice, and a good bit of understated industrial design, and quite good for the time.

I'm Geoff.

I tried one when I had my old Rappaport pre-amp. In comparison the Quad was like listening through mud!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I tried one when I had my old Rappaport pre-amp. In comparison the Quad was like listening through mud!
    Which version of the 44 was it?
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Which version of the 44 was it?
    Blowed if I can remember. Early one I expect, it was a long time ago.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Blowed if I can remember. Early one I expect, it was a long time ago.
    The early versions were plagued with problems which needed, amongst other things, a complete redesign of the motherboard. The later version (with the grey buttons, additional "tilt" and bass control settings and the removal of the 'cancel' LED) are good preamps.
    Barry

I'm Malcolm.

You are lucky it was working? Andy Rappaport used to make very dubious claims about his products many thought he was a fraud. One of his designs he claimed was the result of 20 years of research and he was just 22 at the time. The so called magic black bricks in his preamp was nothing more than motarola op amps and were sealed up to conseal that from view. I gather his power amp used to get so hot it was according to many of the trade who sold them a serious health hazzard!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaton Mess View Post
    You are lucky it was working? Andy Rappaport used to make very dubious claims about his products many thought he was a fraud. One of his designs he claimed was the result of 20 years of research and he was just 22 at the time. The so called magic black bricks in his preamp was nothing more than motarola op amps and were sealed up to conseal that from view. I gather his power amp used to get so hot it was according to many of the trade who sold them a serious health hazzard!
    Yes, I've heard the stories. Whether they are true or not is another thing and does not alter the fact that the Rappaport blew away every other pre-amp I tried until I got my Forte Model 2, after the best part of twenty years of reliable service.

I'm Malcolm.

Yes, I've heard the stories. Whether they are true or not is another thing and does not alter the fact that the Rappaport blew away every other pre-amp I tried until I got my Forte Model 2, after the best part of twenty years of reliable service.
    Yes its true just ask any of the old time US dealers who carried his products. One told me how he was so exasperated with their lack of quality and Rappaports poor service to them one day in fit of temper he took a hammer to the much famed pre and its so called magic sauce in the sealed black bicks. What he found was just the motarola op amps, nothing more, nothing less.

Now Nelson Pass is a whole different kettle of fish one of audios great electronics designers. What I did not know was that your pre amp was probably mainly designed by his partner, aparantly Nelson majors on power amplification and his partner the pres. I learned this from a recent really interesting interview series Steve Guttenberg Audiophiliac has been doing with Nelson.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aeQDwFkiqGsW2G

+ Reply to Thread