+ Reply to Thread
Page 937 of 1097 FirstFirst ... 4378378879279359369379389399479871037 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,370 of 10962

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Mike.

Default Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

Calling walpurgis......

Of any interest or any good?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192775044818

Not for me, just thought I’d post them up.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I hope you haven’t now convinced her it’s worth a packet. £50 on gumtree for a broken one is about right and most tuners are worth peanuts these days. If it’s a £50 repair then great, if it’s a £200 one she’ll need to work hard to find a buyer interested in one of these to get her money back. The fact it’s on gumtree suggests it won’t be going on eBay with decent pics and a proper sales pitch, and will be exposed to a limited market. Could be tough.

Personally I wouldn’t thank you for one. Modern stuff outclasses it on every level for less cash. There was a reason for the valve revival in the 90s - most of these Japanese solid state AB, high feedback, function-loaded integrated amps were robust enough but a total snooze fest. Main reason for high-ish values compared to a few years back (IMO) is the the younger generation think this old silver crap from before they were born looks cool in a retro living room.
    Blimey. Have you been having a bad day?!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Blimey. Have you been having a bad day?!
    Just being honest and most likely right

I'm inactive.

I hope you haven’t now convinced her it’s worth a packet. £50 on gumtree for a broken one is about right and most tuners are worth peanuts these days. If it’s a £50 repair then great, if it’s a £200 one she’ll need to work hard to find a buyer interested in one of these to get her money back. The fact it’s on gumtree suggests it won’t be going on eBay with decent pics and a proper sales pitch, and will be exposed to a limited market. Could be tough.
    Gary was right in offering the advice - the last two (UK based) working Pioneer SA9100 amps sold on ebay for £360 and £385 .... hardly 'peanuts'. The £360 sale attracted 35 bids - so clearly a market for them.

But yes, a lot depends on how much a repair would be ... but even at a cost of £200 for repair she would still be quids in if the cosmetics are good .... certainly worth more than the £50 asked on Gumtree (with the tuner thrown in) - even if not working.
    Last edited by mikmas; 06-01-2019 at 01:24.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Gary was right in offering the advice - the last two (UK based) working Pioneer SA9100 amps sold on ebay for £360 and £385 .... hardly 'peanuts'.

But yes, a lot depends on how much a repair would be ... but even at a cost of £100 for repair she would still be quids in if the cosmetics are good .... certainly worth more than the £50 asked on Gumtree (with the tuner thrown in) - even if not working.
    You ignore my main point: gumtree isn’t eBay - usually crap listings and mainly local reach - and for that reason alone this is highly unlikely to make anywhere near top dollar.

What I can’t fathom are who are the idiots paying this sort of money for so-so sounding old junk?

I'm inactive.

You ignore my main point: gumtree isn’t eBay
    - which is why Gary advised her to take it off Gumtree .... do keep up

I'm inactive.

What I can’t fathom are who are the idiots paying this sort of money for so-so sounding old junk?
    What does that matter - she was trying to flog some gear ... who cares why some folk pay over the odds for it.

I presume you have heard the amp in question - or do you just brush all Japanese gear into the same skip?

montesquieu Guest

Default Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

What does that matter - she was trying to flog some gear ... who cares why some folk pay over the odds for it.

I presume you have heard the amp in question - or do you just brush all Japanese gear into the same skip?
    When the kids were small - 20 years ago - put my proper kit away in the loft for about 5-6 years. I lived near Weston Super Mare at the time and frequented a place called Weston Hifi Exchange.

There I was astonished to find all sorts of kit I’d read about when I first got into hifi (at school in the late 70s, hey-day of the hifi mags), or lusted after in mates’ big brothers’ setups. I got through a lot of ‘renowned’ kit - as was anyway - prices generally from £25, seldom more than£75 - you really couldn’t give this stuff away in the mid 90s. Most of it sounded either shit or (at best) tolerable. I was a skint new dad so I didn’t bother what the setup looked like.

A lot of it went in trade in as I cycled round the gear, some of it did indeed eventually wind up in the skip. I don’t recall this specific pioneer but £400 will get you pretty close to, say, a Quad 34/306 combo that I guarantee will piss all over it.

As for the seller magically transforming herself from selling what she regarded as old junk for £50 on gumtree, to turning out a knowledgeable quality listing capable of getting top dollar on eBay (minus the 10% listing fees/4% PayPal fees don’t forget) ... well I’m not holding my breath on that one.

My concern was that putting an expectation of a big return in this woman’s head wasn’t necessarily a great idea, when it’s going to be hard for her to achieve anything like that amount.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 06-01-2019 at 01:55.

I'm inactive.

As for the seller magically transforming herself from selling what she regarded as old junk for £50 on gumtree, to turning out a knowledgeable quality listing capable of getting top dollar on eBay (minus the 10% listing fees/4% PayPal fees don’t forget) ... well I’m not holding my breath on that one.
    You need to look at the two sales listings I mentioned - admittedly one does a better job than the other in describing the amp but in both cases the photos are mediocre to utter shite in quality terms and most definitely a long way off from 'quality listings'. The worse photos belong to the sale that went for £385 ... the seller shouldn't be left alone in charge of a camera

Clearly the amp in question (quite a hefty beast in you check up on hifiengine) has garnered a stellar reputation somewhere in god's sweet pastures.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../sa-9100.shtml

quote:
    The SA-9100 is Pioneer's finest professional stereo integrated amplifier.

It features an all stage direct coupled pure complementary OCL circuit, resulting in a super wide bandwidth and distortion free power, a unique 3 stage direct coupled equaliser, twin stepped tone controls for making critical bass and treble adjustments and level set volume and loudness contour controls to adjust listening preference.

Other features include 2-way tape duplicating and monitoring, 2 position high and low filters and 3 pairs of speaker output terminals.

montesquieu Guest

Clearly the amp in question (quite a hefty beast in you check up on hifiengine) has garnered a stellar reputation somewhere in god's sweet pastures.
    Yes because you can always believe what you read on the internet ...

+ Reply to Thread