+ Reply to Thread
Page 899 of 1097 FirstFirst ... 399799849889897898899900901909949999 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 8,990 of 10962

Thread: Bargains on ebay? (Part 2)

I'm Bartek.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Pah - where's your sense of adventure? Old cassette decks are fun!
    I must admit, this is the one I fancy, currently -
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HITACHI-D...YAAOSw2yNbQimh
    This is beautiful deck and the remote is impressive. They aren't cheap though and hard to find.
    Living Room Onkyo P303 + Hitachi HMA-6500, HGE-6500, Music Hall CD 25.2, Onkyo T-909, TA-2500, Akai GX-6, Yamaha MDX-596, Panasonic DMP-BDT460, PS4, Pioneer PL-112D+AT95E, Tannoy Mercury V4
    Other Sansui AU-D7, Onkyo P-3060R, TA-2900, TA-2500, TA-2360, TA-RW9090, Nakamichi 480, 580, Sansui SR-212+AT95E, Yamaha CA-1010, CT-1010, TC-1000, K-850, T-1.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Pah - where's your sense of adventure? Old cassette decks are fun!
    I had enough 'fun' with cassettes and cassette decks years ago. Pulling out all the unspooled tape that had jammed up the car stereo. Worn out belts, clutches and pinch wheels, sticking controls. Oh the joy! .

And the only deck that produced a half decent sound was a Teac A-360. The rest I owned, even the reasonably good ones all left something to be desired.

I'm Edward.

So I went and found the old Nak and see it is a DR-2. Then see a few being sold for lotsamoney. Maybe I should wash it, take some great pictures and stick it on ebay for say £500 with best offer invited. You never know!
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I had enough 'fun' with cassettes and cassette decks years ago. Pulling out all the unspooled tape that had jammed up the car stereo. Worn out belts, clutches and pinch wheels, sticking controls. Oh the joy! .
    I used to record stuff off Radio 3 when I was a teenager, cassette tapes were handy for that, I'll grant you - free music, what's not to like? But it was always a hassle making the tapes then labelling them, then watch them wear out. Mostly though if I found myself listening a lot to any particular tape I'd go and find that performer/work on an LP.

In the late 80s I bought a fairly decent Denon cassette deck and used it to record LP onto for cassette for the car and later for an Akai 'Walkman' I used to use on the train between Edinburgh where I worked and Glasgow where I lived. (A rare commuter line that's full in both directions). I think I bought three pre-recorded tapes in my life. Again that was functional.

But the cost of batteries made the Walkman fairly short-lived. And the faff - even in cassette's hey-day I couldn't be arsed with it, it was always sonically inferior to vinyl, always one glitch away from turning into brown spaghetti. Pretty sure I haven't had one in my system since the late 90s.

And that was then - these days it's hard to see cassette decks as anything other than skip fodder. (Indeed I'm sure that's where my Denon ended up). I mean really most cassette collections are probably unplayable now, and for any practical modern purpose involving home recording or storage or transportation, digital is way, way better. It's certainly not like LP where the sound can be better than digital (with the caveat that it's costly to achieve that).

I just don't get it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In the early eighties I bought a mid-range Sony cassette machine, and found to my great surprise that if I used Sony branded tape I could make slightly better recordings with considerably more ease, than I used to make using 7" spools of Pyral tape on my Ferrograph 632 reel-to-reel machine.

About a year later I bought a Nakamichi BX-125E machine which I had re-biased by B&W to use TDK metal tape (in the metal housings). This was an improvement over the Sony and I made much use of the Nakamichi. Based on my favourable experience of the BX-125, I bought a BX-2 for my second system.

I made many tapes of radio plays and programmes such as 'Late Junction' on Radio 3, as well as copies of music to play in the car. Nowadays I no longer play cassettes (I made about 200 recordings), and with exception of some of the Radio plays and 'Late Junction' recordings, have replaced everything with CD versions. I do have a CD recorder which I must get around to using to transfer the radio recordings onto CD.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

And the only deck that produced a half decent sound was a Teac A-360. The rest I owned, even the reasonably good ones all left something to be desired.
    Then you weren't doing it properly!

Most of my recordings were made on a Yamaha KX-250 that I was given for my 18th birthday and I still have many of the cassettes. None have worn out, unspooled or snapped and they still sound absolutely fine. A couple of recordings I made on chrome tape from a friend's shiny new CD player in the late 1980s still sound superb, in fact.

I've also played them in many car stereos over the years and never had any problems but then I always cleaned and demagnetised heads regularly. I think some people forgot even at the time that it is a mechanical, physical medium and so maintenance was/is required.

As an aside, my aforementioned friend the cassette guru never tires of playing songs to visitors and then revealing they're on cassette when they ask if he's playing a CD or record. The rotten bugger's caught me out once or twice, too...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Tannoy Cheviot speakers to avoid! The original crossovers are missing and the original HPD drivers have been replaced with what looks like the 3169G unit from the Lynx professional speaker.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Ch...AAAOSw~TNbSHYp

These are really not worth much. They may not even be working correctly as the crossovers installed may not match the drivers. They are not Lynx crossovers.

I'm Andrew.

Tannoy Cheviot speakers to avoid! The original crossovers are missing and the original HPD drivers have been replaced with what looks like the 3169G unit from the Lynx professional speaker.

These are really not worth much. They may not even be working correctly as the crossovers installed may not match the drivers. They are not Lynx crossovers.
    Well spotted Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Don.

Decent looking Tannoy Cheviots in Harrowgate. Bid up to £550 so far.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tannoy-ch...53.m1438.l2649
    Can't believe these reached over £1300.... A bit of shell bidding going on there...maybe..maybe not...the prices on Cheviots have crept up rapidly lately...

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

I thought that then I saw another pair on there with the same drivers and thought it might be a later version..?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread